Forty bodies found in plane search

JARKATA - At least 40 bodies have been recovered from the sea in the search for missing AirAsia Flight QZ8501, the Indonesian navy says.

The bodies were spotted along with debris floating in the Java Sea off the Indonesian part of Borneo, in one of the search zones for the plane.

There has been no official confirmation that the remains come from the plane.

The Airbus A320-200, carrying 162 people from Surabaya in Indonesia to Singapore, disappeared on Sunday.

The search operation is now in its third day, with the area widened to cover 13 zones over land and sea.

During a news conference by the head of the operation, shown live on Indonesian TV, pictures of the debris were shown including a body floating on the water.

Relatives of passengers on the plane watching the pictures were visibly shocked.

Later, the Indonesian navy reported that 40 bodies had been retrieved by one warship.

Its spokesman said the rescuers were continuing to recover bodies and were "very busy now".

AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes tweeted to the families: "My heart is filled with sadness for all the families involved in QZ 8501. On behalf of AirAsia my condolences."

Search operation head Bambang Soelistyo said he was 95% certain the objects shown were from the plane, adding that a shadow was spotted under water which appeared to be in the shape of a plane.

All resources were now being sent to the area where the debris was found, he said.

Mr Soelistyo added that ships with more sophisticated technology were being deployed to check whether larger parts of the plane were submerged beneath the debris.

Indonesian civil aviation chief Djoko Murjatmodjo, quoted by AFP news agency, said "significant things" such as a passenger door and cargo door had been found.

He added that the objects had been found 160km (100 miles) south-west of Pangkalan Bun in Borneo's Central Kalimantan province.

At least 30 ships, 15 aircraft and seven helicopters joined the operation when it resumed at 06:00 local time on Tuesday (23:00 GMT Monday).

Comments (8)

what a shame sorry

kkkkk - 30 December 2014

I still feel the Airbus should revisit the "electrical issues" that delayed the launch of these giants aircrafts years backs. At the time when the delay was made they looked nowhere near 100% satisfied with the complete product. The market had no patience either to wait for them and orders from carriers was increasing. The competition from Boeng Dreamliners was heating up. The number of accident/incidents of Airbus wether minor or fatal since its inception are worrysome. Accidents and mother nature does happens in life from time to time. Its a sad moment indeed. RIP people.

X-MAN IV - 30 December 2014

may their dear souls rest in peace..

Mwana Wemuporofita - 31 December 2014

so painful

petros - 31 December 2014

Your report does not sound truthful because as of the morning of January 2, 2015 the international news reported that the tenth body had been found so how did you get to forty or you just reported wrongly presented news from somewhere earlier. It would help if papers here in Zimbabwe stuck to truth in their reporting

smotshi - 2 January 2015

your story lacks the truth.early morning of 2nd of January they were saying a total of sixteen bodies have been retrieved so far. got the information on Aljazeera.

Eddy - 2 January 2015

BBC iyesterday reported 7 bodies

ndizvo - 2 January 2015

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.