Zifa petition shot down

HARARE - A number of football personalities have distanced themselves from a petition that is calling for president Robert Mugabe to dissolve the Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) board led by Cuthbert Dube.

The petition is believed to be the brain child of former Zifa administrator Francis Zimunya, who at the weekend held an all stakeholders weekend to try and map a way forward for local football.

“We the people whose names are listed below do hereby petition His excellency the President of Zimbabwe to dissolve the current Zifa leadership led by Cuthbert Dube for Corruption, Factionalism, vote buying, financial mismanagement, poor governance, dysfunction of football structures and maladministration thereby brining the game of football into disrepute and tarnishing the image of Zifa, Zimbabwe and its people at large,” read the petition addressed to the head of state.

The statement is then followed by a list of at least 116 prominent football personalities from across the country but there are no signatures appended to the names.

Some of the names listed on the document are those of former national team coaches like Sunday Chidzambwa, Gibson Homela, Benedict Moyo, Nelson Matongorere and Misheck Chidzambwa.

Football administrators like Lesley Gwindi, Gladmore Muzambi, Benedict Moyo, Mwandibuya Mtepfa, Nigel Munyati, Vincent Pamire and Lazarus Mhurushomana.

However, a number of those people mentioned on the petition have distanced themselves from project.

Zimbabwe Soccer Coaches Association chairman Bheki Ncube said: “I think there is someone out there trying to tarnish my name and those on the list by creating this petition.

“I have not signed any petitions in recent times and it’s actually surprising to hear about this. I know that at this moment in time a lot of things are wrong with our football but there are better avenues to deal with such issues.”

Zimbabwe Junior Football League chairman Zivanai Chiyangwa, whose name also appears on the petition, also expressed alarm at the development.

“This is news to me to tell you the truth. I think there are some people out there with a sinister agenda that want to drag my name through the mud,” he said.

“I’ve never signed a petition like that before and it is alarming to note that there are people out there who are up to no good.”

Zifa president Cuthbert Dube last week castigated those behind the petition.

“Zifa is governed by a constitution and the vote of no confidence clause is clearly outlawed in our constitution. The board should be allowed to perform without any interference from non-Zifa members, who are desperately trying to overthrow a constitutionally elected board,” said Dube in a statement.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.