Ncube crowned Miss Environment

BULAWAYO - Twenty three year-old Tsholotsho beauty therapist Precious Ncube outshined nine other models on Friday night at Hartsfield Sports Grounds to claim the Miss Environment Zimbabwe title.

Only 10 models took part in the beauty contest after eight other finalists surprisingly chickened out of the race at the eleventh hour.

This, however, did not lessen the glamour of the colourful event that saw second-placed Sibusisiwe Falala, 20, from Umguza District being crowned Miss Climate while Midlands State University Politics and Public Management student Bathabetsoe Nare, 21, from Gwanda was handed the Miss Global Warming title.

Ncube won two holiday nights for two at Binga Lodge, a tablet from Astro and cosmetics from Black Opal. Falala and Nare walked away with two holiday nights in Binga as well as an assortment of mobile accessories from Astro.

The visibly ecstatic Ncube, who, by virtue of winning the Miss Environment Zimbabwe title is now the new ambassador queen for the environment pageant, described her victory as the beginning of the fight against environmental degradation.

“It always feels great to be the best especially when the competition is stiff,” said Ncube whose project focussed on renewing and repairing the damaged environment in response to global warming.

In line with the pageant’s rules, each model was supposed to have completed an environmental project which accounted for 90 percent of the points while the model’s performance on the ramp contributed the remaining 10 percent.

“I have just been inspired and armed to carry out my mandate. I am going to travel throughout the country as part of the continuation of the project that I started in August,” Ncube told the Daily News.

Falala carried out a project on recycling while Nare focused on land degradation, paying particular attention to soil erosion.

Pageant director Briaton Takundwa praised the participating models for staying true to the values of the unique beauty contest.

“It was long and tough to carry out such a community initiative especially without proper funding but I am happy that it was a success,” Takundwa said.

“Above all I want to praise the girls; they all did exceptionally well in their projects which they implemented in their communities and also the team work they exhibited. Unfortunately, not everyone can be a winner.”

Interestingly, a few models failed to answer basic questions on the environment projects they had undertaken. One of the models even wept as she left the podium after dismally failing to explain a basic concept pertinent to her project.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.