Minister blasts inept Zifa

HARARE - Ziyambi Ziyambi, the Deputy Minister of Home Affairs, has lambasted the Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) saying football stakeholders must take action against the leadership for destroying the game.

Zifa is currently under fire following the poor performances by the various national teams led by the Warriors, who failed to qualify for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) finals.

The Warriors’ quest to qualify for Equatorial Guinea ended at the first huddle after the team was knocked out in the preliminary stage by minnows Tanzania.

So bad is the situation that the Warriors tumbled five places down to number 106 on the official Fifa Coca-Cola World Rankings released last week.

The country’s worst Fifa ranking was number 107 back in December 2013 and with the way things are going the Warriors will hit a new low when the next rankings are released.

Zifa are also facing a ballooning $6 million debt with bailiffs knocking on the association’s door everyday with writs of executions to attach property.

Cuthbert Dube, the Zifa president, and his secretariat led by CEO Jonathan Mashingaidze have all been criticised for the way they have run down the sport.

“It pains me that the football fraternity keeps quiet when the football leadership is destroying the game,” Ziyambi said at the World Navi Northern Region Division One Soccer League Soccer Stars awards ceremony held in the capital on Friday evening.

“We  know that Fifa said government must not interfere in as far as football matters are concerned but if you football stakeholders do not take action on Zifa, I know time will come when we are going to interfere because it’s good for the game.

“We were once football administrators but I want to tell you one thing stop demanding results when you are giving nothing to your players,” said the former CAPS United and Shooting Stars administrator.

Zimbabwe is currently undergoing a rebuilding phase with Under-23 coach Calisto Pasuwa tasked with assembling a new team following the disastrous Afcon qualifying campaign.

The minister was relentless in his attack on the Zifa leadership for running down local football.

“It’s high time to call a spade a spade; the football leadership must change their attitude if we need to return back to the old good days,” said Ziyambi.

“Those who are in authority must be accountable so that the youngsters put maximum effort knowing that they have something to play for. You the football stakeholders cannot remain silent.”

Meanwhile, Mushowani captain Zivanai Mhanda is on cloud nine after he was voted as the 2014 World Navi Northern Region Division One Soccer League Soccer Star of the Year.

“I’m very happy to achieve this. I want to thank my coach, teammates and supporters,” Mhanda told the Daily News on Sunday.

“I think I won this award because of hard work I was putting in. I put in a maximum effort in every match for the whole season with my coach Paul Chimalizeni telling me what to do.

For his efforts Mhanda walked away with a Toyota Corolla courtesy of World Navi.

Mhanda will also have an opportunity to try his luck in the Japanese Premiership League- known as the J League.

“My target is obviously to stay in Japan. I’m going to do my best in Japan as you know that every player’s dream is to play overseas,” added Mhanda.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.