We're ready: Langa

HARARE - Sport Minister Andrew Langa says government has so far availed over 10 million dollars for the refurbishment of facilities for the African Union Sports Council Region Five Under-20 Youth Games that kick of next month.

At least 1600 athletes are expected to descend on Bulawayo for the games, set to run between December 5 and 14.

“We will have the official opening of the Games on the December 4 by his Excellency (Presidnt Robert Mugabe),” Langa told reporters yesterday. 

“I’m happy to say that we have a total of eight venues we will be working with. We have the Barbourfields Stadium which will host the official opening and closing ceremony.

“We have the Luveve Stadium and I’m happy to say we are doing final touches there. We have White City Stadium. We are behind time with White City but I’m certain come December 2 we will be done. We have the Bulawayo Athletics Club where we will have the tennis. I’m happy to say this one is ready for handover even today.

“We also have the Bulawayo Swimming pool. I’m happy to say that the electronic scoreboard we were waiting for from South Africa has since arrived.

“We have the ZITF where we will have judo and basketball. We can safely say they are ready. We have the City Hall where we will have boxing this is also ready for handover. We have the Games Village at Hillside Teachers College. I’m happy to say this college will never be the same again.”

Comments (1)

You couldn't avail 400k needed by the Sables to prepare for their RWC2015 qualifiers....a small fraction of this 10 million..... an act that would have saved the game in the country. Instead we just missed out on qualification because we were slightly under done and now the game is dying...clubs can't even play against each other because of the lack of funds. Shame on you Minister.

mukwerekwere - 14 November 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.