We want 2017 Afcon - Mzembi

HARARE - Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Walter Mzembi has announced Zimbabwe’s interest in bidding to host the 2017 African Nations Cup following Libya's withdrawal as the host nation.

Libya pulled out last month because of ongoing fighting in the country that has delayed plans to build new stadiums for the 16-team tournament.

Zimbabwe recently topped a SuperSport online survey in which readers from across the continent were invited to suggest the country they prefer to replace Libya as 2017 Afcon host.

And now Mzembi – who earlier this year revealed an ambitious plan to bid for the 2034 World Cup finals – told Parliament this week that “Zimbabwe should start by hosting the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations” to prove the country’s potential of staging, in 20 years time, the biggest sports showpiece in the world.

“We are dreaming, Mr Speaker, of mega events in the future that will improve hotel accommodation, rooms, hospitality and basically everything in this country,” Mzembi told lawmakers during a question-and-answer session. 

“One of them which I had already pronounced and Parliament must take us dead serious on it is the hosting of the World Cup in 2034 by Zimbabwe.  For your information honourable members, this project is already inspiring infrastructural projects.

“It has already attracted international interest to the extent that just last week I dispatched my chief executive officer to Botswana and he came back with a model that we have agreed on as a region, not to just host the World Cup in 2034 but to look immediately at the hosting of Afcon 2017, after the withdrawal of Libya.”

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) has invited new bidders for 2017 with countries wishing to host the tournament having until September 30 to send in expressions of interest.

Ethiopia, Kenya and Ghana have already announced their interest in bidding to host the 2017 edition.

Zimbabwe were stripped of the rights to host the 2000 Nations Cup due to slow progress in the building and refurbishment of stadia. The tournament was given to co-hosts Nigeria and Ghana.

Comments (7)

START BY HOSTING COSAFA WHICH IS NOT FINDING A WILLING HOST NATION....IF YOU CANT HOST COSAFA YOU CANT HOST AFCON

Lennon - 5 September 2014

Im sure the Minister is now starting to approach the matter in a sber state and not drunken one. Howevr, again AFCON is still too big for Zimbabawe. COSAFA , yes we may hosts. At least for Stadia are required for AFCON with capacity of not less than 40,000, bucket seats, not bench as at NSSS or Rufaro or BF in Bulawayo. NSSS will drop to around 45,000 seats if bucket seats are put and no other stadia will be above 40,000seats.

MNK - 5 September 2014

minister just look on the internet at stadium pictures all over africa and you will see Zim is a disgrace. Caf will never allow tournaments in such rotten venues what is National Sports Stadium , or Rufaro Stadium , get real man stop wasting our time. Where will you get the hundreds of millions in hard currency to build football grounds when the nation is grinding to a halt

mhanduwe - 5 September 2014

I like the way the Minister dreams very nice dreams--- positive dreaming

Morris Chiwanga - 6 September 2014

''let there be dreams and there was dreaming.'' ''let there be light, i guess the minister missed that episode and is still living in the dark.,

azid - 8 September 2014

just check the grounds used for bukina faso they were not near rufaro not the biggest stadium which host brazil

bossolana - 8 September 2014

Hello sir .....i am rohitash kumar site survey work 1 year exprince

Rohitash kumar - 14 June 2017

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.