Triangle storm through

ZVISHAVAVNE - Triangle stormed into the final of the One Wallet Cup after beating Chicken Inn 5-3 in a penalty shootout during yesterday’s semi-final encounter here.

The Sugar Sugar Boys will now meet the winner of today’s other semi-final between Dynamos and How Mine at the same venue.

After the tie had ended goalless after 90 minutes, Triangle were able to convert all their spot kicks through goalkeeper Ronald Mudimu, Tinei Chitora, Praise Tonha, Tichaona Chipunza and Nelson Melson to book their first ever final spot  since they were promoted into the top flight league last year.

The Gamecocks were only able to convert three spot kicks through captain Danny Phiri, George Majika and Passmore Bernard while Brian Mbiriri sent his effort wide to end the Bulawayo side’s run in the tournament.

Triangle coach Biggie Zuze was pleased with the result and was happy at reaching his first final with the Lowveld-based side.

“We knew it was going to be a tough match,” said Zuze. Our players did well today. We played as a team and we are happy to progress to the final.

“It was our objective from the start and everyone is happy with this result. I think credit should go to the guys for their never say die spirit. We are now looking forward to a good final. Very few people were giving us a chance but here we are.”    

Chicken Inn coach Joey Antipas blamed the defeat on the number of missed chances by his side.

“I think we should have wrapped up the match in regulation time. It’s not the end of the world though,” said Antipas.

“We need to re-group and move on. We just need to keep our heads up.”

Both teams struggled in the early stages of the poorly attended match as they failed to create any meaningful chances.

It was Triangle, however, who went on to settle first and caused some anxious moments for the Gamecocks.

Felix Kuswatuka could have given the Sugar Sugar Boys the lead in the 17th minute but he failed to make contact with a good cross from Lameck Nhamo inside the box.

Despite Triangle enjoying most of the possession in the opening half, Chicken Inn would create the best chance of the game when Clemence Matawu was set up by Thabani Goredema inside the box.

The former Motor Action midfielder, however, sent his effort over the bar from close range.

In the second period, the match became evenly balanced as neither side wanted to throw away a chance of reaching the final and in the end the tie had to be settled by a penalty shootout.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.