Zim call two rookies, Chatara out

HARARE - Zimbabwe have named two uncapped players in all-rounders Luke Jongwe and Neville Madziva for the three-match ODI series against touring South Africa and dropped pace spearhead Tendai Chatara.

The two neighbouring countries open the series on Sunday, with all three matches being played at the Queens Sports Club in Bulawayo.

19-year-old Jongwe represented Zimbabwe at the Under-19 World Cup in the UAE earlier this year before going on to impress for Southern Rocks in the domestic league.

Madziva (23) has also done commendably well in Zimbabwean domestic cricket for the Midwest Rhinos.

All-rounder Elton Chigumbura returns as captain of the limited overs side, taking over from Brendan Taylor, who will now only concentrate on leading the Test side.

Pakistan-born batsman Sikandar Raza Butt and pace bowler Brian Vitori return to the Zimbabwe team after recovering from injuries that saw them miss the nine-wicket loss to the Proteas in the one-off Test in Harare last week.

Pace bowler Chatara has been left out of the squad alongside batsman Mark Vermuelen.

“He (Chatara) was left out simply because after the Test and leading up to the ODIs there is very little recovery time for fast bowlers,” coach Mangongo said yesterday.

“If he was going to play it means he was not going to train in Bulawayo tomorrow (today) and Sunday, which would have been unprofessional. We have looked at the other players we have and said it’s an opportunity for them to show what they can do.”

On 35-year-old Vermeulen, Mangongo said: “He is not in our one-day set-up, he’s in our Test set-up. If you look at his fielding and movement on the field, you’ll see that its way below one-day cricket standards.”

Squad: Elton Chigumbura (captain), Sikandar Raza Butt, Luke Jongwe, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Neville Madziva, Timycen Maruma, Hamilton Masakadza, Shingi Masakadza, Richmond Mutumbami, John Nyumbu, Tinashe Panyangara, Vusi Sibanda, Brendan Taylor, Prosper Utseya, Brian Vitori, Malcolm Waller, Sean Williams.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.