DeMbare edge Highlanders

BULAWAYO - Defending champions Dynamos continued with their dominance over Highlanders when they collected maximum points during an incident packed Premiership match here on Saturday.

Roderick Mutuma’s goal shortly after the halftime break was all the Harare giants needed extend their unbeaten run against Bosso that stretches back to 2006.

The defeat also heaped pressure on the home’s coach Kelvin Kaindu, who has gone for four games without registering a win in the league.

With yesterday’s win DeMbare moved into second place on the log with 35 points and trail new log leaders ZPC Kariba only on goal difference.

After the match, Kaindu was disappointed with the result and expected his team get something out of the encounter.

“I think it is difficult and sometimes the results are not fair. I think the better side lost today,” said Kaindu.

“We created a lot of chances but we could not score. The only chance and the mistakes in the battle line and the opponents managed to score.

“In terms of playing it doesn’t carry any much bearing as much as we were dominating play. What is important are points. We could have scored in the first half,” he said.

The home side started the match like a house on fire as they were all over DeMbare but poor finishing let them down.

Returning forward Njabulo Ncube shot straight at Artwell Mukandi after he was set up by Charles Sibanda in the opening minute.

From there on, Highlanders continued to camp in the visitors half but still they failed to find the back of the net with their attempts either wasted or collected by Mukandi.

Sibanda had a glorious chance midway through the first half when he was set up by Ncube but the red hot striker skied his effort with only Mukandi to beat.

During that opening period it looked like Bosso would steam roll past DeMbare with the way they were creating the chances.

In a bid to shore up the midfield where Highlanders were enjoying the game, DeMbare coach Calisto Pasuwa brought off the struggling Fabrice Mbimba and replaced him with Murape Murape shortly before the break.

The move worked, as DeMbare began to have more control of the game and it was no surpise when they took the lead three minutes after the break.

Simba Sithole was the architect of the goal after beating Bosso skipper Innocent Mapuranga on the right flank before sending in a vicious cross that deflected off Bruce Kangwa.

The ball fell kindly for Mutuma to finish off.

A few minutes later in a hunt for an equaliser Kaindu introduced Mthulisi Maphosa for Hilary Madzivanyika but the move back fired as Bosso became exposed in the midfield.

There was a temporary stoppage as angry Bosso fans started throwing missiles onto the pitch in protest of what they felt were delaying tactics by Mutuma.

When play resumed, Bosso continued to search for an equaliser but they were repelled by the DeMbare defence marshalled by Augustine Mbara and Themba Ndlovu.

Meanwhile, after the game Police had running battles with rowdy Bosso fans who felt short-changed by the defeat. Ant-riot police had to throw tear gas to disperse the crowd.