ZPC survive Hwange scare

HARARE - Debutants ZPC Kariba stretched their unbeaten run in the Castle Premiership to 17 games following the goalless draw against Hwange at Gwanzura Stadium yesterday.

Saul Chaminuka’s side have now gone for 17 matches unbeaten and only six away from matching Highlanders’ 2012 historic 23-match unbeaten run.

The Zimbabwe Power company-owned club dominated position in the first half but were on the back foot after the breather as a rejuvenated Hwange made numerous raids into their goal area.

Goalkeeper and captain Tendai Hove made a number of telling saves to keep the home side in the match.

Even in the post match interviews, Chaminuka conceded that his side was lucky to walk away with a point after a spirited second half performance by the coal miners.

“We played well in the first half and should have got a couple of goals but this is where we lost the plot,” said Chaminuka.

“We could have even lost the game but what’s important is that we got a point which is good enough for our battle for survival against relegation.”

Hwange coach Nation Dube said he was proud of the way his team played away from home.

“It was a game of chances, they (ZPC Kariba) had their own chances which they missed and we also had ours and failed to convert and the game ended in a draw,” Dube said.

“In the second half, I told my boys that this team was not invincible and we could beat them. I’m not disappointed that we did not win, we were trying out some combinations and was quite happy for the boys.”

ZPC played a good passing game in the early stages of the match but the home side was wasteful in front of goal.

In the 11th minute, Artwell Nyamiwa had the perfect opportunity to put ZPC in the lead but shot off target with only the Hwange keeper Takabva Mawaya to beat after he was set up by Limited Chikafa.

Moments later, Hwange should have taken the lead but Aleck Marime hesitated to shoot opting to set up captain Rodwell Chinyengetere but his pass was off the mark.

With the halftime whistle fast approaching, the home side almost snatched the lead but Pride Tafirenyika’s ferocious shot was saved by Mawaya.

The second half was a different affair with Hwange dictating the pace through enterprising forward Chinyengetere but just like the opening half, it was a tale of missed opportunities.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.