Chapungu beat Triangle

GWERU - Chapungu beat Triangle 3-2 in a thrilling Castle Premiership match at Ascot Stadium yesterday.

Triangle were left to rue lack of lady luck, hitting the upright on three occasions and missing a penalty in the first half which could have changed the complexion of the match in their favour.

A late surge in the second half could not help salvage a point as Chapungu had taken a comfortable lead courtesy of two first half goals from Charles Murisa and Courage Murize before substitute Gift Phiri put a cushion midway in the second half.

The first few minutes were a drab affair but Chapungu's nerves were settled in the 19th minute when they were awarded a penalty by referee Maxwell Nyamhuri after Tichaona Chipunza had handled inside the box.

Murisa sent Mudimu the wrong way.

Triangle were given a catalyst to come back into the game 10 minutes later when the referee awarded them a penalty after debutant William Ngonya, who moved from Shabanie, brought down Tineyi Chitora inside the box.

Chitora took the responsibility but crushed his effort against the upright. Chapungu grabbed the lifeline as they went on to increase their tally on 38 minutes through Muzire, who tapped in a low cross from Blessed Mbavarira on the right.

Triangle coach Biggie Zuze made a double substitution at the start of the second half, bringing in Charles Makoto for Chipunza and Richard Kawondera for Lameck Nhamo. Though the substitution saw Triangle seizing control of the game, it was Chapungu who increased their tally with Gift Phiri scoring with a beautiful curling shot, his first touch after coming on for Farai Manase in the 68th minute.

Despite being three goals down, Triangle continued piling pressure and pulled one back on 81 minutes through long range shot from Charles Makoto after Hardlife Mavundi and Richard Kawondera were twice denied by the upright.

Buoyed by the goal, Triangle threw everything at their opponents and had a the second gaol on the 90th minute, Cabby Kamhapa scored a long range strike similar to the Makoto goal. The late surge could not help them get the equaliser as Chapungu held on to register their first win in a number of matches.

"I am pleased with the way we played. It’s good to be back to winning ways after so many games without a win. I am also pleased for the youngsters who made their debuts today," said Chapungu coach John Nyikadzino.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.