Miss Environment officially launched

BULAWAYO - There was glitz and glamour at Garden Restaurant last weekend when the Miss Environment Zimbabwe pageant was officially re-launched after a two-year hiatus.

Former Miss Environment Bulawayo Merrybirth Ushe, Miss Summer Strides 2001 queen Portia Ncube, former Miss Zimbabwe Tourism first princess 2005 Nomakhosazana Ncube and former Zimbabwe Rugby Sevens coach Gilbert Nyamutsamba were among several high profile guests who graced the colourful relaunch.

The pageant, set for October 31, in Zimbabwe’s second largest city, was also attended by seven of the 25 models who will participate in the revived pageant that aims to promote environmental awareness.

Briaton Takundwa, the president of Green For Life Consultancy, the organisers of the pageant, told the Daily News that the relaunch ceremony was a clear message to the corporate world and other stakeholders that the pageant was indeed back in full force.

“We are an environment-based organisation, which seeks to raise awareness on environmental issues through this pageant that we are relaunching today,” said Takundwa.

“We are also involved in tree planting, environmental campaigns, street cleaning and donations to the less
privileged.”

He added that the 25 models, drawn from all the country’s 10 provinces, would battle it out for honours in the pageant which would run under the theme “Environment conservation through ICT.”

Takundwa briefly explained how the winners of the pageant would be selected.

“The beauty contest will see 90 percent of the total marks coming from environmental projects undertaken by the contestant in the run-up to competition with the remaining 10 percent being given on the day of the competition.

“The models will strut their stuff in gowns made of different types of recycled material.

“We are pushing the models to take the lead in conserving the environment through community interventions as part of their corporate social responsibility.

“We have been conducting workshops on environmental awareness in schools and I am glad that we have done a really good job.”

    Post a comment

    Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
    Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
    - Editor

    Your email address will not be shared.