How Mine dump Bosso

GWERU - Goalkeeper Ephraim Mazarura was the How Mine hero after the gold miners stormed into the semi-finals of the One Wallet Cup following their 4-3 penalty shootout victory over Highlanders here yesterday.

Not even the interesting substitution on brining goalkeeper Ariel Sibanda for striker Ozias Sibanda prior to the penalty shootout could stop Bosso from crashing out.

The match had ended 1-1 in regulation time after defender Felix Chidungwe had giving Highlanders the lead with a long range shot while Godfrey Nguwodzawo had equalised moments later for Chikurupati.

Bosso had themselves to blame for the loss as they clearly dominated the game but failed to wrap up match in normal time.

Charles Sibanda, one of Bosso’s best performers this season, had the best chance to win the match after he was brought down inside the box by Edmore Muzanenhamo.

The challenge was soft but Masvingo referee Masakadza Makonese pointed to the spot.

Charles Sibanda picked up himself but he could not beat Mazarura, who dived to his right to push the ball against the upright.

The rebound fell kindly for the penalty taker but Charles Sibanda was put off by one of his teammates, who was also vying for the ball and his second effort crushed off the cross bar before going back into play.

The Bulawayo giants went on to miss a number of chances in the second half as they could not beat Mazarura again.

Highlanders can also look back with regret to Ozias Sibanda’s disallowed goal in the eighth minute.

After having saved from Charles Sibanda from the penalty spot in regulation time, it was obvious that Mazarura’s confidence was high when the encounter went to the lottery of a penalty shootout.

Only Mthulisi Maphosa, Ariel Sibanda, Munyaradzi Diya were the Bosso players,who could beat Mazarura from 12 yards in the shootout.

The big goalkeeper did well to save from Valentine Ndaba while Welcome Ndiweni skied his effort way over the crossbar.

Mazarura also converted his spot kick together with Gilbert Banda, Wonder Sithole and Brighton Dube.

The only Chikurupati player who failed to convert his spot kick was midfielder Xolisani Moyo whose effort was pushed away by Diya.

Highlanders coach Kelvin Kaindu was disappointed with the defeat after watching his team dominate but failing to settle the match in regulation time.

“I think we had a good chance of wrapping up the match in regulation time but unfortunately we count not do it,” said Kaindu.

“We missed a penalty in regulation time through one of our key players but these are the players who have brought us where we are today.

“If we had scored that penalty I think we could have taken big step forward and reached the semi-finals but we can’t blame anyone though. We now need to look forward and bounce back from this setback.”

How Mine coach Philani “Beefy” Ncube was ecstatic after his team booked their place in the semi-finals at the expense of their city rivals.

“There was no way we were going to lose to Highlanders today. We came well prepared for this match,” said Ncube.

“After a slow start the boys managed to fight back and win. Highlanders were the better team. They played well but we managed to contain them. I think it is the mental strength and desire to win that carried the day for us.”

Meanwhile, NetOne spokesperson Rutendo Chabururuka said as the organisers of the One Wallet Cup they are pleased with the response from the fans.

“We are happy that people are coming to the stadia. It is a sign that people are appreciating and we are looking forward to more fun in the tournament,” he said.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.