CAPS United march on

HARARE - CAPS United turned on the style in the second half to rally from behind and overcome Hwange 2-1 in a Castle Premiership match here yesterday.

Bustling Green Machine forward Dominic Chungwa cancelled a Gilbert Zulu’s first half strike soon after the resumption while Leonard Fiyado ensured Makepekepe register their third straight win with his first goal of the season.

The win saw United move to third place on the table, tied on 23 points with second placed Dynamos, who enjoy a superior goal difference over their City rivals.

Hwange, who had enjoyed a good start to the current campaign, failed to follow-up on the momentum as they were handed their second successive defeat having lost 1-0 to Chicken Inn in their last match.

CAPS coach Taurai Mangwiro said:

“We got off to a slow start in the first half. It was not the kind of first half that we expected and to make matters worse we conceded which gave us some chasing to do.

“I was happy with the response from the boys. It was an impressive second half performance. Well done to the boys. We continue working hard and we are looking forward to our next match against Chicken Inn.”  

His Chipangano counterpart, Nation Dube, bemoaned missed chances in the first half and lack of concentration.

“First half it was good for us, we had full control of the game and went on to miss a lot of chances,” Dube said.

“I think that’s where we lost it. We should have wrapped the game in the first half. We went on to sleep in the second half coupled by poor defending.

“We have wanted to pick up maximum points but that’s football. We now need to go back to the drawing board and map the way forward”.   

Hwange could have surged ahead as early as the fourth minute but Gilbert Zulu was guilty of wasting a clear cut chance, sending his effort over the bar from a Farai Vimisayi square ball.

Zulu, however made no mistake on 21 minutes, placing in a rebound after CAPS goalkeeper Jorum Muchambo failed to deal with an Isaac Masame free-kick from the edge of the box.

Hwange continued the better team but failed to turn their dominance into goals. United came back a rejuvenated side in the second half and levelled terms just a minute after resumption.

Chungwa ghost from the blind side to tap in a Moses Muchenje cross into empty nets as the Hwange defence took time to clear their lines.  

Motivated by the goal, United launched a series of attacks and twelve minutes later, Fiyado found the back of the net with a well taken shot from outside the box.

The match continued with both teams creating a number of scoring opportunities but struggled in the final third.

CAPS: Jorum Muchambo, Tapiwa Kumbuyani, David Chipala, Stephen Makatuka, Ronald Pfumbidzayi, Tendai Samanja, Moses Muchenje (Ishmael Thindwa, 56m), Hardlife Zvirekwi, Pevington Zimunya, Leonard Fiyado (Godknows Mangani, 90m), Dominic Chungwa (Dominic Mukandi, 69m).

Hwange: Takabva Mawaya, Phakamani Dube, Munyaradzi Mungadze, Gerald Ndlovu, David Boriwondo, Andrew Chuma, Farai Vimisayi (Newman Sianchale, 84m), Oscar Lungu (Maqhale Mpofu, 60m), Gilbert Zulu, Isaac Masame (Tafara Chese, 72m), Evans Rusike.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.