Harare City resurgence continues

HARARE - Harare City continued their resurgence with a comprehensive 4-1 victory over Bantu Rovers in a Castle Premiership match at Rufaro Stadium yesterday.

Hard running forward Agrippa Murimba scored a brace while Phineas Bhamusi and second half substitute Crybert Muvhuti chipped in with a goal each to secure a third win of the season for Bigboy Mawiwi’s men.

Bantu Rovers got their consolation from striker Bukhosi Sibanda.

The win saw City, who had an indifferent start to the current campaign, moving off the relegation zone to 13th place on the log table with 10 points from 11 matches.

Mawiwi was pleased with his team’s performance.

“I’m happy with the determined performance of my players; they are now slowly regaining confidence and I hope they will continue playing well,” Mawiwi said.

“It was a tough game as I predicted earlier but I was always confident we would win.”

It was Tshintsha Guluva’s seventh defeat of the season and they have dropped on the log table to 14th place tied on 10 points with City.

Bantu Rovers coach Methembe Ndlovu conceded his opponents were superior to his charges.

“We didn’t play well but this happens in football, it’s not the end of the world. We need to keep working hard and try to play the right way,” Ndlovu said.

“We have to accept today we didn’t play the right way. Harare City played well and they deserved to win. Congratulations to them.

“We have to learn to manage situations in a game. We need to grow as a group but I don’t want to take anything away from the winning team. The scoreline was indeed a true reflection of the match”

Harare City started on the front foot and were unlike in the seventh minute when an Agrippa Murimba header was disallowed for off side by referee Jimmy Makwanda.

It was not long however before City took the lead in the 12th minute with Murimba taking full advantage of an unorganized Rovers’ defence to fire a low shot past goalkeeper Tawanda Mafunga to the far post.

Although Rovers saw a lot of the ball, it was City who always looked dangerous every time they went forward.

Rovers equalised nine minutes from the break when Sibanda beat City goalkeeper Maxwell Nyamupanedengu with a powerful header from a Lawson Nkomo cross from the right side.

However, Murimba restored City’s lead two minutes later with a brilliant effort after finding space inside the box.

Rovers slowly clawed back into the game, enjoying a lot of possession and were duly rewarded with a penalty in the 80th minute after City defender Arnold Chivheya handled inside the box under pressure to clear. 

Obadiah Tarumbwa stepped in to take the resultant kick and his effort was saved by Nyamupanedengu. And it was from the resultant save that Rovers were caught on the counter attack which saw Bhamusi scoring City’s third.

Muvhuti completed Rovers’ rout a minute into stoppage when he connected a Bhamusi square ball from the left side following a quick exchanges of passes from the back.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.