Boko Haram crisis: Jonathan vows 'total war'

LAGOS - Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan has vowed to wage a "total war" against militant Islamist group Boko Haram.

Speaking on the the 15th anniversary of the end of military rule, he said "international terrorism" threatened Nigeria's democratic gains.

Boko Haram has waged an increasingly bloody insurgency since 2009 to create an Islamic state in Nigeria.

Its fighters killed 42 people during a raid on Gurmushi village in the north-east on Wednesday, a survivor said.

Villagers were shot and hacked to death, and many homes were torched, the female survivor, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told BBC Hausa.

Boko Haram has been holding more than 200 schoolgirls captive since last month, demanding a prisoner swap.

"With the support of Nigerians, our neighbours and the international community, we will reinforce our defence, free our girls and rid Nigeria of terrorists," Mr Jonathan said, in a televised speech to mark Democracy Day.

Comments (6)

Dr. Jonathan - needs to tell the world why it is taking so long to retrieve the girls - am surprised by his inability to negotiate and set the girls free - I cant imagine the things the girls are going through two months down the line and no end in sight.

pty - 30 May 2014

Nigeria is a paper tiger, military is very weak, scared of boko haram. No electricity, no industries, no trains, no farming et cetera. Its just the big population - 170 million.

Mondana Petros - 30 May 2014

If it was Zimbabwe, the situation wouldnt take 48hours to solve. Nigerian government should be more serious rather than giving speeches without ACTION

President A.C.Z - 30 May 2014

hasnt johnathan joined AU. why cant AU move and free not only the bokos but also deliver the whole niger delter for once. This man was voted to give hard solutions to hard situation but not sit pretty in state house. or he is following the footpath of "african presidents". take action

joseph m - 30 May 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.