Mahachi puts Bosso back on top

BULAWAYO - A second half goal from Zimbabwe international winger Kudakwashe Mahachi was all Highlanders needed to maintain their unbeaten run in the Castle Premiership after edging out battling Harare City 1-0 here yesterday.

Bosso’s victory also ensured the regain the top spot, which they now share with city neighbours How Mine, separated by a superior goal difference.

The Bulawayo giants’ assistant coach Mark Mathe admitted after the game that the visitors had given his team a good run for their money.

“It was a difficult match, Harare City were solid in defence and they sealed the wings, but we weathered the storm,” Mathe said.

“Compared to our previous game we tried to be creative this time around but we didn’t use our wings well. However, in the second half, we improved our game and I should admit that the goal gave us the confidence.”

Harare City coach Bigboy Mawiwi praised his charges for giving their all.

“We played very well, our game plan, which was to contain Bosso, worked. We were just unfortunate to concede a goal. Lack of concentration on the part of the goalkeeper cost us, but I can assure you my players are motivated and things are going to be fine,” Mawiwi said.

The first half had nothing much to write home about serve for a couple of injuries that seemed to have taken its toll on both camps. On 21 minutes, City’s Munyaradzi Nyenye got injured in tussle for ball possession with Highlanders defender Innocent Mapuranga, a development that saw the former leaving the field.

Mawiwi was forced to make an injury inspired substitution, introducing speedy Raymond Uchena, who was however latter shown a red card after a second bookable offence.

With only few minutes into the game, Uchena was shown a yellow card for delaying tactics. With only eight minutes to full time he was caught on the wrong side of the law for a foul on Rahman Kutsanzira, forcing referee Munyaradzi Majoni to give him the marching orders.

Soon after half time, both teams returned a determined lot but the hosts were the first to hit the net with only seven minutes into play from a Mahachi cross.

Mahachi beat his marker on the left flank, made a run before sending in a miscued cross which caught City goalie Nomore John out of position, resulting in the goal.

Soon after the goal, Bosso made a double substitution, bringing in Felix Chindungwe for Mapuranga and Charles Sibanda for Milton Ncube. This inspired life into Tshilamoya as they started to dictate the pace of the game.

On the other end, the introduction of Crybert Muvuti for Martin Vengesai balanced affairs and made the scoreline respectable.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.