No trial date for Muchechetere yet

HARARE - The State is still to furnish suspended Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) group chief executive officer Happison Muchechetere with a trial date.

Prosecutor Sharon Mashavira yesterday told Harare magistrate Douglas Vakayi Chikwekwe that the docket had been referred to Johannes Tomana’s office for perusal and authority to prosecute.

The matter was postponed to next Monday, when the State is expected to provide Muchechetere with a trial date.

Muchechetere, who is represented by Keith Kachambwa and Sylvester Hashiti, is facing fraud charges involving $800 000 and is currently out of custody on $3 000 bail.

The former ZBC boss is also facing criminal abuse of duty as a public officer and contravening the Procurement Act.

Allegations against Muchechetere arose in January last year when he entered into a procurement deal with a Chinese company to purchase an audio outside broadcasting van (OB van) for $1 050 000.

He allegedly entered into the agreement without going to tender.

According to State papers, he prejudiced the national broadcaster of $800 000.

Comments (2)

Mbavha ngisungwe

Godza - 16 May 2014

before I looked at the bank draft which had said $4694 , I be certain that my father in law had been realey receiving money in there spare time on their apple labtop. . there dads buddy has been doing this for only ten months and resantly repaid the morgage on there condo and got a brand new Toyota . read here.............www.Works23.us

Donect1950 - 17 May 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.