Zanu PF youths demand housing stands

CHITUNGWIZA - Government has acceded to housing demands by Zanu PF youths in Chitungwiza in a move that has caused an uproar among residents and councillors.

The move has been castigated as partisan designed to rescue the waning political fortunes of those involved in the housing scandal.

On Monday, hundreds of party youths wearing Zanu PF regalia laid siege at the municipality head office but refused to speak to the Daily News on what they were demonstrating for.

A Zanu PF official who declined to be named said the youths were demanding at least three residential stands in each district from the Local Government minister Ignatius Chombo promised to them during the election campaigns last year.

Zanu PF has 30 districts in Chitungwiza and the party official said the youths were planning to sell the stands and use the proceeds for income generating projects while those leading the campaign are protecting “their political empires as the party’s election dates near.”

However, town clerk George Makunde said Local Government deputy minister Biggie Matiza was following the town’s concept plan and had only agreed that  Urdcorp, a government company now mandated to deal with the town’s planning processes, look into the suitability of the sites being demanded by the youths for residential stands.

“What I can say is that what the deputy minister did is not for the youth only, but is a part of  a process in the town’s concept plan and Urdcorp will make the final decision on areas that need allocation and reallocation,” he said.

Chitungwiza Residents Trust (Chitrest) programme director Marvellous Kumalo, while welcoming the move by government to provide stands to the youths, said his organisation would not support processes that are  flawed and partisan.

“While we might be happy that some residents are likely to be issued with stands in line with government’s ZimAsset programme to provide housing  to the needy, however our queries are on the procedures to be used,” Kumalo said. “Stands can not be allocated through the holding of demos by one political party, but only through the national housing policy guidelines which cater for everyone.

“There is an urgent need to find out if the said beneficiaries are on the council waiting housing list and for how long, because we know of people who have been on that list for more than 25 years but are yet to be allocated residential stands.”

Efforts to get a comment from Matiza and Chombo were fruitless.

Comments (3)

It's all about "what's in it for me". The youngsters are now demanding payment for a job well done during election time in 2013. Zimbabwe is now a country of greedy mercenaries.

Furus Chigayo - 14 May 2014

Webanga onodya nokufa nebanga. The youths are only demanding what they were promised after doing a good job. They may go ahead to demand the 2.2 million jobs as promised during the election campaign period. You can't fool all the pple all the time. Lies have their own price too.

CHABVONDOKA - 14 May 2014

What the youths should be demanding are the jobs they were promised so that they can work and be able to purchase that land. People need to learn that nothing comes for free in this world, you need to work hard for you to get something. How do they expect council to develop that land without any money coming into its coffers?

Dr Know - 15 May 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.