Harare City finally win

HARARE - Harare City coach Bigboy Mawiwi gave an emotional post match interview, fighting back tears in front of journalists after watching his side came from behind to register their first win of the season by beating Triangle 2-1 here yesterday.

Coming into this match, Mawiwi was under increasing pressure having lost all six opening matches of the season the 2014 Castle Premiership season.

Mawiwi’s job has been the subject of speculation after that poor run and yesterday he had substitute James Jam to thank after the midfielder scored twice in the second half to cancel out a Blessing Maziwisa first half strike for Triangle.

“It was like winning the championship that we missed last year,” Mawiwi said after the match.

“It was important to end the bad run. I was confident that we would win. We have always been playing well but it was only the goals that were not coming. We need to be calm though and remain focused.”

Mawiwi said events during this week had been unbearable for him and his players as mount pressure from inside the club increased.

“This week has been one of the toughest in my career. There were a lot of disturbances,” he said.

“Can you imagine it, when we were training (on Tuesday) suddenly some thugs arrived at our ground and took away our footballs.

“Then the next day we couldn’t train as we didn’t have the balls to prepare for this game. I have to thank God and the fans who have been very supportive.   

“I pray that we work as a team from the management, players and whoever is supporting us. This is not my project but we are all Harare City and we need to pull at the same direction.”

Triangle coach Biggie Zuze lambasted referee Pedzisai Chadya to making unfavourable decisions against his side.

“It was pathetic,” fumed Zuze. “You could see that he did not protect our goalkeeper when he jumped to collect the ball and when the City player shot at goal he could not get up to make the save.”

Zuze’s gripe with Chadya arose from the incident that resulted in Jam scoring the winning goal in the 84th minute.

Triangle goalkeeper, Edmond Chimhini fell after going for the same aerial ball against City forward William Manondo.

There was enough contact on the keeper from Manondo but Chadya thought otherwise and Jam was at hand to fire in the ricochet into an empty net.

Earlier in the first half Triangle had taken the lead in the 26th minute when Maziwisa turned in Lameck Nhamo’s corner.

City came back into the match at the start of the second half when Jam headed home a free kick from the left by Tongai Chiworeso in the 11 minutes after the break.

Harare City: Nomore John, Munyaradzi Diro-Nyenye, Tongai Chiworeso, David Kutyauripo, Arnold Chivheya, Crispen Dickson, Talent Chawapihwa, William Manondo, Martin Vengesai (Misheck Mburayi 66th minute), Agrippa Murimba (James Jamu 47th minute), Nathan Ziwini (Crybert Muvuti 81st minute)

Triangle: Edmond Chimhini, Praise Tonha, Ronald Maketo, David Sengu, Jimmy Tigere, Charles Rukwanhi (Tichaona Chipunza 69th minute), Muchineripi Muneri, Pascal Manhanga, Blassing Maziwisa Felix Kuswatuka 75th minute), Tinei Chitora, Lameck Nhamo

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.