Chapungu salvage late draw

GWERU - Chapungu scored a late equaliser to force a 1-1 draw against Shabanie in an entertaining Castle Premiership match at Ascot Stadium yesterday.

The home side were not in the game as signs of fatigue were evident following last Thursday’s 1-0 victory over Dynamos.

It was the visitors who dominated play from the first whistle and could have surged ahead as early as the second minute when Zvikomborero Bizeki got to the end of a loose ball just outside the box and sent in a curling shot which came off the upright.

Carlos Messi was denied by the upright moments later after being sent through by Louis Matawu.

Winger Talbot Mtombeni then put Shabanie in the lead in the 38th minute tapping in a rebound after defender Blessed Mbavarira had blocked a free kick from Douglas Sibanda from outside the box. The goal seemed to spur Shabanie’s attack as they camped inside the Chapungu half but failed in the final execution.

Calisto Maheya had Chapungu’s first real attempt at goal in the 4th minute when his header off a Maxwell Mavuto cross missed the target by inches.

Maheya had another chance in the 20th minute after being released by Farai Manase but he shot wide with only Victor Twaliki to beat.

Twaliki was called into action in the 33rd minute when he rushed off his line to block Manase’s effort.

Shabanie continued with their dominance in the second half and Bizeki could have doubled the lead when he was allowed a free header inside the box but he headed wide.

Shabanie were their worst enemies as they resorted to silly delaying tactics which cost them when Chapungu got their equaliser with only eight minutes to go. Goalkeeper Victor Twaliki who was needlessly delaying even when his team was in control, allowed a cross from Gift Phiri to elude him gifting Hillary Mugoniwa with a simple task of tapping in the ball into the nets.

Shabanie coach John Phiri was livid after the game accusing his players of going to sleep.

“We could have won this match but we went to sleep thinking that we had already wrapped up the game. We lost concentration and allowed them to come back into the match when we had control,” said Phiri.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.