Relief for Mutasa after win over CAPS

ZVISHAVANE - Lloyd Mutasa heaved a huge sigh of relief after FC Platinum registered their first win of 2014 Castle Premiership season by beating CAPS United 2-1 at Mandava Stadium yesterday.

The win comes on the backdrop of a hectic week in which Mutasa fired his long-time friend and assistant coach Masimba Dinyero.

Mutasa was also under increasing pressure after the platinum miners had lost two and drew one of their opening matches.

There was no denying the Zvishavane-based side three points yesterday through first half goals from Qadr Amini and Donald Ngoma. CAPS scored a late consolation through Dominc Chungwa. 

Mutasa was clearly delighted after the final whistle. He said: “It’s good to be winning after a false start. We were under pressure to win but credit should go everyone at FC Platinum, the supporters and the management. We are looking forward to maintaining this form.”

CAPS United coach Taurai Mangwiro bemoaned bad officiating adding that some of the decisions by the referee Masakadza Mokenese demoralised his players.

However, Mangwiro believed his team played well and he is looking forward to better days ahead.

“We played well and with good finishing we could have won this match but again I’m not pleased with match officiating,” he said.

The home side were the first out of the blocks and they could have broken the deadlock in the 10th minute when Amini found space on the left flank but his low shot cannoned off the up right with Tafadzwa Dube a beaten man.

A minute later, Wisdom Mutasa was allowed a free header inside the box but he failed to take advantage heading his effort over the bar.

Mutasa was presented with another chance to put the home side ahead three minutes later when he broke loose but his attempted chip was saved by Dube.

However, there was no denying Donald Ngoma in the 39th minute when he was set up by an impressive Stephen Sibanda to stab the ball past Dube.

FC Platinum increased the lead three minutes later when Dube fumbled a corner kick from Amini into his own net.

After the breather United laid siege on the platinum miners’ goal for the opening 10 minutes with Dominic Mukandi and Moses Muchenje coming close only to be denied by an impressive Petros Mhari.

Makepekepe got a lifeline seven from time when Chungwa headed in a corner kick from Muchenje.

United pressed hard in the dying minutes in search of an equaliser with second half substitute Charles Mukanhaire combining well with Muchenje but he failed to finish off the move.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.