The return of Chinyengetere

HWANGE - Rodwell “King Amla” Chinyengetere returned to the field of play with a bang after a year and a half on the sidelines due to injury propelling Hwange to a 5-1 demolition of Buffaloes on Sunday.

Chinyengetere, who was injured in May 2012 after a collision with Monomotapa goalkeeper Artwell Mukandi, shone like a beacon in the midfield for Hwange scoring in each half to give his club a big morale booster ahead of the forthcoming matches.

The Warriors midfielder first registered his name on the score sheet in the 42nd minute restoring Hwange’s lead with a flashing header after Buffaloes goalkeeper Blessing Mwandimutsira had punched back into play a shot from Eric Chipeta.

The Kadoma-born midfielder completed his brace in the 61st minute with a beautiful curling volley after collecting a pass from new boy Alick Marime giving the Buffaloes goalkeeper no chance.

The Hwange midfielder, who can also play upfront, could have scored a hat-trick but his flying header off a Chipeta cross hit the cross bar a few moments before his second goal.

Chinyengetere was overjoyed by his scoring return to the Hwange starting line-up after that career threatening injury.

“It’s good to be back. It wasn’t pleasing to see the others shine but I kept on believing that I will be back at some time,” he said.

“The brace was a bonus because what I wanted was just a comeback and I was thrilled with how events turned out.

“I want to thank everyone who prayed for my recovery from the Hwange family to the whole nation.”

Hwange coach Nation Dube was pleased by Chinyengetere’s performance after he spent a long spell on the sidelines.

“I am really impressed with his response. He is a fine player with so much character. You couldn’t tell that he was coming from a lengthy injury by the way he played,” said Dube.

“He was a marvel to watch. I was also pleased with the way he responded to advice from almost everyone at the club during the time of recuperation.”

Hwange were the biggest winners in the opening games of the season scoring five goals past a hapless Buffaloes.

Also on the score sheet was forward Evans Rusike, who also netted a brace, and substitute Farai Chese.

With the win, Hwange went on top of the log standings for the first time in as many years.

However the win came at a price after reliable defender Chipeta was stretchered off the field after a nasty tackle from Kelvin Thembani, who was sent off by referee Hardly Ndazi.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.