Ekusileni Medical Centre to open in June

BULAWAYO - After a series of setbacks, the Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare minister Nicholas Goche says the Ekusileni Medical Centre is finally set to open after its board resolved that the hospital be opened in June this year.

“We had a meeting and we looked at the challenges at the hospital and we concluded that we need to resolve the challenges.

“We also resolved that we will set up an implementation programme which has to be finished within three months after which the hospital will be opened,” he told the Daily News on Sunday.

The hospital which was scheduled to open in 2013 has failed due to a number of challenges. Early last year, Nssa provided a loan of $6 million to the Zimbabwe Health Care Trust (ZHCT) to open the facility but this failed and the date had to be moved to October 2013, which also flopped.

The next target was December 30, 2013 which also failed again resulting in a new date of March 30, 2014, this also failed and now the officials say it will open in June.

Nssa general manager James Matiza said the hospital would start operating as soon as some equipment that is still needed comes in June.

“The hospital needs a bit of touch up and when some of the equipment we need arrives the hospital will be functional by end of June this year,” he said.

Matiza said nurses and other staff members will be housed in townhouses near the hospital.

“Nssa will sign a lease agreement with a South African company called Phodiso so that the nurses and staff will occupy the houses,” he said.

Speaking on the sidelines of the meeting at the hospital premises just after touring the hospital, the senior minister of State in the President’s office who is also a founder and trustee member of the hospital Simon Khaya-Moyo expressed concern  over the delay in opening the hospital.

“The issue of the hospital not opening is a serious challenge to us all, I am sure Nkomo ( the late vice president) is wondering when we are opening the hospital,” Khaya-Moyo said.

The 200 bed-medical centre was initiated as a joint venture between Zimbabwe Health Care Trust(ZHCT) and NETCARE whilst Nssa and MIPF became partners in the development of the superstructure.

Comments (1)

We have all heard this sad story before no give a hell about Bulawayo and its people as far as their are concerned we must all just go die.

Roland Ncube - 7 April 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.