Headmistress' $4 000 fraud case opens

BULAWAYO - A 50-year-old former Mtshede Primary School headmistress has been brought before the courts for allegedly misappropriating close to $4 000 in school funds.

Magistrate Gladmore Mushove remanded Sothembah Moyo out of custody on $100 bail after she pleaded not guilty to the offence.

It is the State’s case that on May 27 last year, two international auditors carried out an audit at the school and discovered $3 376 missing.

The audit revealed that Moyo had received $600 for installation of the school’s siren, $600 to purchase a cow for prize giving day function, $300 to buy a wheelbarrow, $138 for school bathroom boutique but she allegedly converted the money to her personal use.

Moyo failed to submit $1 558 from the school development committee account to pay teachers who had conducted holiday lessons. She only used $150 to pay the school management its allowances.

In a police statement, the school SDC chairperson Evans Mbambo said all the money was meant to develop the school but instead she misappropriated the cash.

Mbambo revealed the school had $12 000 in the school bank account and $2 000 in the accused’s office.

He said the offence surfaced when a parents meeting was held at the school and guardians requested to see the money that they always paid for various things requested by the school.

Comments (1)

come on mr editor surely the auditors must have been internal not what you have written here

lepron - 21 March 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.