Chaotic scenes at Rufaro Stadium

HARARE - A young boy was left battling for his life after being struck on the head in a messed-up paratrooper display which has left Zimbabwe at the mercy of the Confederation of African Football (Caf) on Sunday.

The second leg of the African Women’s Championships qualifier between the Mighty Warriors and Botswana was delayed for about 15 minutes at the beginning of the second half as the paratroopers tried to finish their display.

BIG MESS UP: A paratrooper almost lands in the crowd as frightened fans take cover at Rufaro Stadium on Sunday. Picture: Annie Mpalume

There was drama at Rufaro Stadium with some of the troopers failing to land well.  One landed on a tree outside the stadium.

The paratroopers were supposed to perform their displays during the break; however, they delayed to start which forced the match to be delayed for more than 15 minute.

Also, one person was seriously injured after one of the troopers landed in the stands, hitting the young supporter sitting on the southern bay.

The fan was rushed to hospital where he is reportedly in critical condition.

TUSSLE: Mighty Warriors defender Ruvimbo Mutyavaviri, left, fights for possession with a Botswana defender during Sunday’s match at Rufaro Stadium. Picture: Annie Mpalume

Botswana coach Munoloki Masole said the smoke produced by the display affected his players during the second half. 

Match commissioner Palmira Pedro Fransico said she was going to send the report to Caf, but it is believed that both Caf and Zifa were unaware of the display.  

Meanwhile, first half goals by Rutendo Makore and Merjury Nyaumwe ensured the hosts pulled through to the first round, where they will play Zambia.

Zimbabwe went into yesterday’s match carrying a slender 1-0 lead from the first leg in Gaborone two weeks ago.

Makore scored 10 minutes into the game after she received a cross from Felistas Muzongondi before firing past Peggy Segoko.

Four minutes later Zimbabwe found get their second goal through Nyaumwe’s long range shot.

Mighty Warriors coach Rosemary Mugadza said she was pleased with the result. 

“We did play badly but the most important thing is we managed to win the match,” Mugadza said.



Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.