Fifa decline to effect Asiagate bans

HARARE – World football governing body Fifa says it cannot endorse bans handed down on Zimbabwean footballers and officials involved in the widely-publicised Asiagate match-fixing scandal, it emerged on Friday.   

The Zimbabwe Football ?Association (Zifa) in 2012 banned for life over 15 individuals fingered in the biggest scandal ever to hit Zimbabwean football.

Almost 100 local footballers were also found guilty of receiving sums of money from an illegal Asian betting syndicate between 2007 and 2009 to lose fixed matches by predetermined scores. 

The players were later pardoned by Zifa and ordered to pay varying admission of guilty fines.

And then last year, Zifa approached Fifa to lobby the Zurich-based organisation to endorse these suspensions.

Fifa deputy secretary to the Disciplinary Committee, Octavian Bivolaru, this week wrote to Zifa CEO Jonathan Mashingaidze insisting they need more evidence.

“We acknowledge receipt of your letters dated 25 November 2013 and 18 December 2013, received on 24 December 2013, the content of which has been duly noted,” wrote Bivolaru.

“In this regard, we would like to refer you to our previous letter of 25 November 2013 and to confirm that, based on the documents currently in our possession and for the reasons explained in the aforementioned letter, the Chairman of the Fifa Disciplinary Committee is not in a position to extend the sanctions imposed by your association on various players and officials in the scope of the investigations and proceedings conducted into the ‘Asiagate’ scandal so as to have worldwide extent in accordance with art. 136 off the Fifa Disciplinary Code (FDC).”

Zifa has also requested a meeting with the Fifa Disciplinary Committee and according to Bivolaru, this meeting will only materialise if there is new evidence.

“Furthermore, we note that you have requested a meeting between your association and Fifa to discuss the matter. In this respect, you are kindly asked to provide the Chairman of the Fifa Disciplinary Committee with any documents and evidence that are not already in the possession of the Chairman, and which would justify the holding of such a meeting,” wrote Bivolaru.

“Upon receipt of the aforementioned documentation, the Chairman of the Fifa Disciplinary Committee will evaluate any further steps to be taken, in particular the opportunity to hold a meeting as requested by your association.”   

Efforts to get a comment from Mashingaidze or the Zifa legal advisor Ralf Maganga were futile last night as their phones were not reachable.

Between 2007 and 2009, the Zimbabwe national team participated in dubious friendly internationals that are believed to have been fixed by Asian betting syndicates led by the jailed match-fixer Wilson Raj Perumal.

After details of the scandal started to emerge, Zifa ordered a probe team chaired by the association’s vice-president Ndumiso Gumede to look into the matches.

The Gumede probe team interviewed a number of players before providing their findings to the ad hoc Zifa Ethics Committee chaired by retired Supreme Court judge Justice Ahmed Ebrahim.

The Ethics Committee then held its own hearings before making recommendations to the Zifa board which in turn handed out the sentences.

A Zifa Appeals Committee has not yet released verdicts of individuals given lengthy or life bans by Zifa.

Sources tell the Daily News that lawyers representing the individuals have been told by Zifa officials that the delay has been caused by late payment of judges who sat on the Appeals Committee.

“As far as we are concerned, we have done our job,” said a member of the Appeals Committee who spoke on condition on anonymity.

“It’s now up to Zifa to release to you guys what needs to be released.”

Only this week, world football players’ union FIFPro urged Fifa to throw away the bans, citing irregularities in the imposition of the sanctions. 

“For almost two years these players have been waiting for justice to prevail,” said FIFPro in a statement.

“Innocent players have lost their jobs which has not only hurt their personal lives but also that of their families and relatives.”

Comments (6)

We are not surprised. From the start we doubted the calibre of the so-called investigation team. ZIFA hired charlatans masquerading as specialists. They simply failed to build a watertight case against the suspects. We know that prima facie, had serious questions to answer. In our criminal law, the onus is on the accuser or the prosecuting agency to assemble incontrovertible evidence and place same before a competent and independent tribunal (court) for a hearing and determination. During the hearing the prosecutors have to prove beyond reasonable doubt, all their allegations against the suspect. Proving allegations beyond reasonable doubt can only be done if the investigators (the evidence gathers) produce a watertight case to then empower the prosecutors to lead the evidence in court. So it is clear that a disciplinary committee, judge, or any other tribunal cannot do their job where the other agencies have produced a defective docket (case file). Next time ZIFA must be prepared to contract the best investigators regardless of the costs involved. We suspect FIFA provided enough funds for this Asiagate probe but as always some of the funds may well have been diverted to individuals or other unrelated expenses. Accordingly, it is futile to seek FIFA's support for a ZIFA's defective determination and it is totally unjustified to keep the bans in force when FIFA have already refused to endorse the decision.

Expert - 1 February 2014

Tibatsireiwo Zifa nekuteerera zvirikutaurwa nevakuru venyu, hatidi kuramba takamirira hudofo hwenyu muchitadza kutidzosera vatambi vedu mu'ground'. Afcon is coming soon we need Guthrie Zhokinyu back.

Shame Chirochierwa - 1 February 2014

one wonders whether these issues were handled ethically if reports of the ZIFA President's conduct are anything to go by.....

snowden - 1 February 2014

Just look who is the ZIFA president and you will know for sure the truthfulness of the case. As long as it is coming from the Cuthbert Dube led organization it cant be true. Dube and your bunch of fools leave us alone; leave us with our players. We deserve better things than this rubbish.

Exiled - 1 February 2014

They should have investigated Cuthbert Dube

gatsi rusere - 4 February 2014

ndikafunga Guthrie 'Toll gate" Muswebe Zhokinyu ndinorara ndigere. Dube ndiye here ane yake PSMAS gate???????

marble - 7 February 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.
 
Enter the three characters from the image on the right. This helps prevent automated 'bots' from submitting spam to the site. This field is NOT case-sensitive. If the characters are a bit hard to see, try refreshing the code by clicking the image.