'Thumbs up to $2,5m NatPharm vote'

HARARE - The $2,5 million budgetary allocation to NatPharm will close the drug provision gap that has left Zimbabwe largely dependent on donors and middlemen for medication, Health and Child Care minister David Parirenyatwa has said.

NatPharm is charged with the procurement of drugs for all state-run hospitals, and is mandated to guarantee the availability of safe, effective and affordable medical supplies to various public institutions.

Donors are currently providing 98 percent of the 40 percent primary drugs needed by the country, according to Parirenyatwa, with middlemen providing the other 60 percent.

“The problem with NatPharm has been funding,” Parirenyatwa said on the side-lines of a Nestle-organised donation event in Harare last week.

“I am happy that for the first time, we managed to lobby the treasury to allocate some money to NatPharm
“There is nothing good about relying on donor funding in drug provision.

In as much as they mean good, they can just pull out and what would happen to all those people?

“As a country, we mean well and this shows government commitment towards capacitating NatPharm”.

Itai Rusike, the Community Working Group on Health executive director, said the vote would boost the operations of the struggling company.

“A capital transfer allocation of $2,5 million to NatPharm is a positive in the 2014 budget.

“This will go a long way in capitalising the operations of NatPharm,” Rusike said.

With nine licensed pharmaceutical companies, Zimbabwe used to be the second largest drug manufacturing country in the region.

Comments (5)

With the current trend on parastatal of mismanaging resources I think its wise to have a due diligence exercise to find out whether the money will be put to good use and establish why in the past the organisation was not doing well financially. Treasury must put water tight mechanisms to control the use of funds.

WRITER - 28 January 2014

Inotodyiwa nanablaz chete!

Bingo Wokwa Gutu - 29 January 2014

Start by buying a V8 for the CEO

Zuze - 29 January 2014

Start by buying a V8 for the CEO

Zuze - 29 January 2014

This is a problem in Zimbabwe. Why should the Government be involved in all spheres of business. Let the private sector invest in pharmaceutical. The government can only come in as a regulatory authority. The same problems we see with parastatals will happen in this instance. We never learn do we?

jackson chokuyamba - 29 January 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.