Chitungwiza residents resist home demolitions

HARARE - Chitungwiza residents, whose houses are facing demolition say they will not move an inch because they acquired the stands legally.

The residents claim the exercise is unfair and would do whatever it takes to stop the municipality from destroying their houses.

Some of the people whose houses are to be demolished, told the Daily News, they bought the stands in 2006 and have been paying monthly rates since then.

Rogers Makombe said when he bought his stand in 2006, no legal issues were raised.

“The stands were acquired in 2006 and now government is saying they were allocated illegally. During the coalition government, it was said that the stands were legal but now they want to destroy our houses,” said Makombe.

The houses which are to be demolished are said to have been built on road sites, on top of sewage pipes and under electricity cables.

The demolitions were ordered following an investigation into the allocation, change of use, subdivision and repossession of stands by a team appointed by Local Government minister Ignatius Chombo in 2012.

The team unearthed massive corruption in the satellite town leading to the dismissal of several councillors.

On Friday, Chitungwiza council started demolitions but they were stopped by residents who threatened to burn the hired earth-moving equipment and trucks. “They started saying the structures are illegal after the recently held, July 31 harmonised elections when Mugabe was elected into power.

“The people are poor and should be treated like humans. We now do not support this new government because it is ill-treating us and we will not be moved.

“The same people whom we voted for, are the same people who are driving us away,” Makombe said.

Efforts to get a comment from Chitungwiza mayor, Phillip Mutoti were fruitless as his mobile phone was not reachable.

Comments (2)

The stands were acquired in 2006 and now government is saying they were allocated illegally. During the coalition government, it was said that the stands were legal but now they want to destroy our houses.The same people whom we voted for, are the same people who are driving us away.They started saying the structures are illegal after the recently held, July 31 harmonised elections when Mugabe was elected into power. Dog eat Nja.

Roriana - 27 January 2014

The corrective measures to deter these illegal structures must be done simultaneously with the arrest of those land barons who took the money which was meant for the council who were in the matiza report. All the blame to the Mayor are null and void the mayor is just in power now and has no power to minestrial decisions .Chombo was there when these land barons looted and is still in power when th ey are cleaning up

taurai muponda - 29 January 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.