Zanu PF offers MPs campaign vehicles

HARARE - President Robert Mugabe’s Zanu PF has offered its winning and losing candidates the option to buy their campaign vehicles.

Joram Gumbo, Zanu PF chief whip, confirmed to the Daily News that he was tasked to deliver the message to the legislators this week during their party’s parliamentary caucus meeting.

“All the MPs that had vehicles have been given the option to buy the vehicles that they used to campaign, as there was confusion on the matter on whether they were to return the vehicles to the headquarters or not,” Gumbo told the Daily News. 

“This was one of the matters we discussed in our parliamentary caucus meeting yesterday.

“The party chairman Simon Khaya-Moyo sent the message to all our MPs explaining the matter during the beginning of the year, but however some of the legislators did not receive the message so he asked me inform them that the party had given them the vehicles.”

Last year, Zanu PF acquired 550 vehicles at a cost of $14 million and motor bikes for 68 districts to ensure that its campaign managers and their foot soldiers reached all areas, including remote districts, to mobilise voters.

It bought an assortment of single and double cab 4X4 vehicles including Toyota Hilux, Nissan NP300, Ford Ranger and Mazda BT50s.

A stand-off between the party and its MPs was brewing as secretary for administration, Didymus Mutasa, ordered the legislators to surrender the vehicles for party use.

However, the legislators refused arguing that they were yet to receive their cars under the Parliamentary Vehicle Loan Scheme.

Khaya Moyo said:  “The Politburo’s position on this matter is very clear. Those party candidates who won the election and are now Members of Parliament can keep their cars while payment arrangements are being finalised with Parliament.

“Those who lost in the election indeed also contributed to the party’s massive win and must produce their payment plans for the said cars to the party’ secretary for Transport and Social Welfare,  Nicholas Goche.

“Those who lost and are without means to pay for the cars must return the same to the provincial headquarters soonest. I hope this statement clarifies the position once and for all.”

Comments (7)

http://jobnize.com/?task=10638

vatete - 24 January 2014

$14 million dollars of diamonds money used to import vehicles instead of resusitating Willowvale as outlined in Zimasset. Now the alluvial diamonds are said to have run out

Tendaupenyu - 24 January 2014

End of Robert Mugabe The current president of the Republic of Zimbabwe, Robert Gabriel Mugabe will die on Monday, the 3rd of February 2014. Actually I had a dream on the 20th of January 2014 that Mugabe will die on his sleep. This death will not result from poisoning, gun shot, physical strangling basically there will be no foul play and it will be strictly natural death. This prophecy concludes that Mugabe will demise as a result of natural causes. Ndini; Tichatonga Mambo Tichatongamambo@yahoo.com (Zimbabwean)

Tichatonga Mambo - 24 January 2014

This is an internal ZANU matter ko why don't we ask questions about MDC campaign funds/vehicles??? Is our media really a watchdog or jst anti ZANU?? Go ask Mureyi weku Masvingo West kuti akadii mari ne mota dze MDC?? But no bcoz kuba kwe MDC kuri right kwe ZANU ndokwakashata??? Idiots!! As for brother Tichatonga......You are not God come 4 February we want you here on this forum to explain why your prophesy is wrong and don't give us excuses or a new date...be man enough to say your vsions or gods are false

wezhira wezhara - 25 January 2014

@ wezhira wezhara, Internal matter!Ofcourse we are going to ask you moron!Its our money that being used!! People are starving and all your party has done is made it worse!!Let me guess you will blame sanctions on the situation in Zim!Utter rubbish!

cloud - 27 January 2014

Murume uyu anonzi Rugare Gumbo akazvishatigwa varume! Hi varume, kumeso kunge gudo ririkunzwa mabayo.

Kachembere kekwaChivi - 27 January 2014

i see a big fight coming up soon because of these cars, mark my words. the campaigning is over and some people are being carefully thrown into the bin.

sammy - 27 January 2014

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.