Glen View murder suspects in fresh bail bid

HARARE - Three MDC activists, in custody over charges of killing police inspector Petros Mutedza in Harare’s Glen View suburb in 2011, have launched a fresh bail application.

Last Maengahama, Tungamirai Madzokere and Yvonne Musarurwa remained in prison after High Court judge Chinembiri Bhunu freed 21 others, following an application for discharge by their lawyer Beatrice Mtetwa.

One of the suspects, Rebecca Mafikeni died while in custody, leaving 28 other activists in the dock on murder charges.

They are alternatively charged with public violence as defined in Sections 47 and 36 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act.

Mtetwa yesterday confirmed to the Daily News that she had launched a fresh bail application for the trio.

“The basis of the application is the passage of time. The last time that we applied for bail was 11 months ago,” Mtetwa said.

She said it has taken “unduly long” for the trial to resume since its failure to proceed on November 25 last year, because Justice Bhunu was handling election petitions.

Mtetwa said the bail application was also necessitated by the fact that the matter had not been set down during the High Court’s first term court roll.

She said it was only given a date after the application was filed last Tuesday.

The trial is now set to resume on February 24, while the bail hearing has been set down for tomorrow.

The three incarcerated activists were put to their defence together with Lazarus Maengehama, Paul Rukanda, Edwin Muingiri and Phineas Nhatarikwa, who are out of custody.

All the suspects deny the charges.

The State alleges that the group murdered Mutedza after he went to Glen View 3 as part of a team that was assigned to disperse a group of MDC supporters who were braaing and drinking alcohol.

The residents allegedly started shouting and began throwing stones, empty bottles, steel stool frames and other missiles at the police.

According to court papers, the police were out-numbered by the group and Mutedza rushed to a Nissan Hardbody which he mistakenly identified as a police vehicle.

He was hit by a brick on the left side of his head and fell down, the State said.

The group allegedly kicked him until he became unconscious. He was rushed to Harare Central Hospital where he died upon arrival.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.