Sheriff in second bid to attach minister's property

HARARE - The sheriff’s second bid to attach minister Douglas Mombeshora’s household property hit a brickwall again on Thursday.

Police manning Mombeshora residence in Borrowdale blocked the sheriff and his team for the second time from attaching the minister’s wife Millicent Mombeshora’s property.

Harare businessman Francis Muzeya, owner of Long Park Services operating as Seasons Supermarket, is involved in a legal dispute with the Mombeshora’s Victory Supermarket over merchandise supplied to the minister’s family, which they have failed to pay.

“The police denied us entry into the premises, saying that we had no right to attach the property and I was made to understand that Victory Supermarket did not appeal against our High Court judgment as they are now claiming,” Muzeya said.

Last week, the sheriff visited Mombeshora’s residence in a bid to recovery property worth $30 000, after a court judgment delivered by Justice Nicolas Mathonsi on December 19, 2013.

Millicent had approached the High Court seeking an interdict order to stop Muzeya and the sheriff from removing and attaching goods equivalent to $28 451,53 in respect of the goods Long Services Park had sold and delivered to Victory Supermarket.

However, Justice Mathonsi dismissed Mombeshora’s court application, granting a final order to Muzeya to proceed with attaching the goods.

The property to be attached from Mombeshora residence included leather sofas,  fridges, television sets, microwave, generator and two motor vehicles, a  Toyota Hilux and Mitsubishu Canter, among other valuables.

Jonathan Samukange, representing Mombeshora, said the sheriff had no right to attach the property as the matter was before the courts.

“We have approached the Supreme Court in this matter and I don’t know what they are talking about and I cannot continue to comment on this matter, as I have filed my papers in the court,” Samukange said.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.