Scrap fixed water charges: Residents

HARARE - Harare residents have demanded that council scraps fixed water charges rather than just lower them.

In a development that could annoy Harare City Council (HCC), Precious Shumba, the Harare Residents Trust (HRT) director, said: “The City of Harare has come up with a largely unchanged budget which attempts to take into consideration the concerns of residents on fixed water charges.

“These charges are unjustified and only serve to increase the cost of living for most urban citizens. The City of Harare has not learnt anything from the past when it comes to budget formulation.

“Residents have failed to pay for municipal services because they strongly believe they are being charged for services not rendered, especially residents from the eastern and northern suburbs who have not received consistent water supplies from the municipality, yet they are being asked to pay fixed water charges.

“The council has not demonstrated its willingness to incentivise rates payment. There are residents who continuously settled their bills up to the time of the debt cancellation."

“The HRT proposes and will continue to lobby that these be given an agreed percentage discount on rates until probably 31 December 2017 as an incentive for sustaining the council when others were struggling to settle their bills,” said Shumba

In its 2014 standstill budget totalling $370,2 million approved last week, HCC finance and development chairperson Allan Markham said the development was in response to Harare residents’ submissions during pre-budget consultations.

Fixed charges for domestic water  in high density areas has been reduced from $5 to $4,  for low density suburbs from $11 to $9 while industry charges came down by $30 to $50.

Tendai Muchada, the Combined Harare Residents Association (Chra) programmes manager, said apart from pre-budget meetings, there was further need for council to continually engage ratepayers.

“Chra maintains that the budget making process should be an all-inclusive year round process,” Muchada said.

“Secondly, despite the unchanged figures, there is still no compliance to the Cabinet directive which instructs local authorities to budget 30 percent of the total revenue towards administration and personnel with the remaining 70 percent going towards service delivery.”

Comments (2)

The council is trying to be clever by half..they do make onios cry dont they? These fixed charges are some kind incentive for them not to provide water at all as the council can survive very well on this alone..Really why do they disrespect their clients to this level? Why do council officers at the billing department, which must be the obvious source of this nonsense think we are all IDIOTS? Scrap that fixed charge, and how did you calculate it anyway?

gutter poet - 12 November 2013

Lets get real here. I have 2 stands that back on to my property with nothing on them. I am still charged every month for water, sewage and refuse removal. WHY ?

Zims - 13 November 2013

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.