Maridzo, Takawira in fist fight

HARARE - Former WBO Africa Super Middleweight champion Tineyi Maridzo and Edmore Takawira traded blows at a press conference held in Harare on Thursday ahead their match up at the City Sports Centre on Saturday.

The two long-time rivals are set to trade leather for the Intercontinental World Professional Boxing Federation Elimination bout whose winner will face Brazil’s Mohammed Saidi in March next year.

But it seems the two could not wait for Saturday to resolve their differences in the ring instead choosing the press conference to vent out their frustrations.

Maridzo accused Takawira of circulating “rumours” about him on Facebook before going on the offensive and a right straight punch on the Zimbabwe  number one light heavy weight contender.

It now remains to be seen if the Zimbabwe Board of Boxing Control will take a leaf from the British Boxing Board of Control who rescinded Dereck Chisora’s boxing licence after his post-match clash with David Haye last year.

Meanwhile, Delta Force Boxing Promotions founder Clyde Musonda said the bout was Delta Force’s way of giving back to expecting boxing fans after the World Boxing Union fight between Zimbabwe’s Tapiwa Tembo and  Zambia’s Gibon Kamota was cancelled.

“We can’t go back, what happened, happened but we have to give fans something,” said Musonda, who is also promoter of the event.

Musonda said Delta Force were working World Professional Boxing Federation president David Young to lure former world heavy weight champion Mike Tyson to come to Zimbabwe next year.

“Tyson should make a guest appearance at next year’s intercontinental World Professional Boxing Federation fight with the winner of Saturday’s bout and the Saidi from Brazil, if everything goes to plan,” said Musonda.

“This is our wish to have someone like Tyson in Zimbabwe, I think that we go a long way in reviving boxing in Zimbabwe.”

The former Commonwealth boxer accepts full responsibility for the cancellation of the WBU fight.

The WBU title fight was cancelled by the Zimbabwe Boxing Board of Control after Delta force Boxing Promotions failed to provide boxer’s contracts before the stipulated 14 days before the bout.

“I know the rules and regulations but the Zimbabwe Boxing Board of Control should have given us e us more time because I had the boxer medicals with me.

It’s just that they had come late from the boxers but I was on my way to the board when the news came out that the fight had been cancelled.”

Musonda however pleaded: “I must be given time to put all things in place, so that our boxing will improve.

Remember we are starting from zero; we last had a big fight in Zimbabwe long back so it’s difficult to convince sponsors to come on board. We are trying our best if we say ‘no’ who will put up the fights.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.