Motor Action hold Shabanie

ZVISHAVANE - Shabanie needed a late equaliser to force a 1-1 draw against an inspired Motor Action in a game of two halves at Maglas Stadium on Saturday.

For the umpteenth time Shabanie went into the match without camping as the club's authorities failed to provide funds.

While in the previous encounters they were able to put aside the financial constraints and conjure wins with coach Luke Masomere saying problems were now part of their DNA, this time even the body language of the players showed they had problems as they were not in the game in the first half.

Motor Action dominated the first half in which they should have scored at least two goals but Shabanie came back even stronger in the second half in which they should have sealed the game had their strikers been lethal in front of goal.

The visitors put up a scintillating first half performance as they began life with long-time coach Joey Antipas, who quit last week.

Prince Matore was in charge of the Mighty Bulls and was assisted by David George and their youngsters were fired up with Yves Ebabali and Scholar Hadebe proving slippery down the wings.

The visitors found the opening goal in the 21st minute when Hadebe beat William Ngonya on the right before squaring for Wisdom Mutasa whose shot was punched back into play by Roy Mazingi.

Walter Musona reacted fast to score with an overhead kick from the rebound.

The Mighty Bulls could have increased the lead three minutes later when a rising shot from Passmore Bernard cannoned off the upright with Mazingi already beaten.

With the visitors dominating play, Mutasa created space for himself in the centre and was allowed to charge towards goal but his low shot from just outside the box went wide.

Shabanie coach Luke Masomere brought out ineffective Caleb Masocha for forgotten striker Simbarashe Gate in the 44th minute and the former Masvingo striker was given a yellow card a minute later after ramming into Marlon Jani.

After the breather, Shabanie increased their tempo and in the 54th minute they thought they had found the equaliser through Fungai Chirinda but second assistant referee Nyarai Chirwa had flagged for offiside.

The home side was now creating wave after wave of attack but Motor Action remained resolute in defence.

Shabnie finally got the equaliser in the 88th minute when Pervington Zimunya scored with a wonderfully struck free kick after Philip Sithole was fouled outside the box by Clive Sibanda.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.