Hungwe in Mr Zim U-turn

HARARE – Victor Hungwe, the “Beast” has made a U-turn on his earlier decision not to participate at the Mr Zimbabwe, set for November 2.

The athlete from Body Active Gym in Borrowdale made a sensational announcement last month ruling him out of the country’s premier bodybuilding competition to pursue an international pro-card.

Hungwe made the decision soon after he failed to defend his Musclemania title won by Botswana-based athlete Champion Chienderamwano.

Chienderamwano received a VW Polo vehicle for winning the Muscelemania contest while Hungwe got a 32 inch plasma television screen for his second place finish.

Hungwe said he changed his mind as he wants to defend his status as the country’s finest bodybuilder.

“It took a lot of encouragement from seasoned bodybuilders, yesteryears, close friends and my family to give it one more dance,” Hungwe told the Daily News.

“You win and lose and that’s why it’s called a competition but regardless of my achievements, I still believe that I’m a work in progress and working brutally hard to remain and reclaim my status as the best bodybuilder in the country.”

Hungwe says Body Active opened a new branch in Mutare recently which has affected his preparations but he is going ahead with participating at the South African Nationals which are on this weekend.

“I have been travelling to and from Mutare so my season is going to start in earnest next year in preparation of international shows because it remains my top priority to get a pro-card,” he said.

“I got huge motivation to do international shows having competed at All Africa Olympia against some of South Africa’s best, the likes of Vusi Njisane and Shameen Adams.

“These guys make a living through endorsements and advertising and I can only reach that platform with international exposure.”

The country’s premier bodybuilding contest Mr and Ms Zimbabwe returns on November 2 after five-years of absence.

The contest was last staged in 2008 and was won by Tarirai Chirume.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.