SA police conclude Pistorius investigation

PRETORIA - Police have concluded their investigation of murder-accused Oscar Pistorius, as the State prepares to serve the indictment on him.

The athlete shot and killed his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his Pretoria East home on Valentine’s Day this year and is currently out on R1 million bail.

Pistorius claims he mistook Steenkamp for an intruder, but the State will argue a case of premeditated murder.

In less than a week from now, Pistorius and his defence team will get a full picture of what evidence the State has against him and how it will try and prove he murdered Steenkamp.

When the indictment is served, the State is also expected to disclose the docket of evidence to allow the accused to prepare a defence.

It remains unclear whether the defence team will bring an application when this happens.

Defence advocate Kenny Oldwage said on Monday he was still going to meet with his client and take instruction.

Pistorius’s return to court on August 19, falls on Steenkamp’s 30th birthday.

While there’s been no confirmation of a trial date, it’s expected to be set for the first quarter of next year.

Last month, it emerged investigators in the case have still not been able to forensically analyse the athlete’s smartphone which may hold key evidence.

Pistorius had forgotten a password to an Apple iPhone he had used on the night he shot and killed Steenkamp.

Police investigators asked their counterparts at Interpol to assist them in acquiring Apple’s expertise.

While the handset seized at Pistorius’s house is not locked, investigators require the iTunes account password in order to analyse the device and access deleted or hidden data.

Software available in South Africa has been unable to crack the device and it’s hoped the password can be retrieved from Apple servers.

The appropriate legal process is being followed via Interpol to gain access to the confidential data.

Meanwhile, the Daily Voice newspaper in Cape Town has reported Pistorius was spotted kayaking with friends in Hermanus on Sunday.

His family has said he has been spending most of his time at home.

They also announced in June that he would be resuming a “low-key track routine.”

His family’s spokesperson, Anneliese Burgess, said he “is not contemplating a formal return to athletics and his training is not aimed at preparing for competition.” 

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.