Zifa, PSL head for collision course

HARARE - The Castle Premiership was thrown into turmoil after the Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) ordered all players in the Warriors squad for the Zambia game to report for camp on Tuesday night.

Zimbabwe is scheduled to play against Zambia in a rescheduled Championship of African Nations (Chan) final qualifier this Sunday.

The PSL action is set to resume today following a three-week hiatus due to the Warriors’ commitments and last month’s general election, however, Zifa insisted that all players in Ian Gorowa’s side report for camp last night.

Zifa also threatened to withdraw all referees from taking charge of the mid-week league games as they tried to arm twist the PSL.

“All players called by the coach for national duty should report for camp this evening (yesterday),” Xolisani Gwesela, the Zifa spokesperson told the Daily News.

“We would like to make it explicitly and abundantly clear that there is no tension between Zifa and the PSL; we are the same football family.”

Officials from the PSL, however, insisted that all mid-week games will go ahead despite the directive from the football mother body.

There was confusion last night as most of the players in Gorowa’s squad had already travelled to various towns with their respective clubs for the mid-week matches.

Dynamos and Highlanders each have four players in the squad.

Fifa stipulates that a club can choose to forfeit a fixture if it has three or more players called up for national duty.

DeMbare have Patson Jaure, Augustine Mbara, Tawanda Muparati and Devon Chafa while Bosso provided Masimba Mambare, Milton Ncube, Peter “Rio” Moyo and goalkeeper Munyaradzi Diya.

CAPS United have three players in the squad namely Tafadzwa Dube, Dominic Chungwa and Hardlife Zvirekwi.

FC Platinum also have three players called up for the game in the form of Ali Sadiki, Nelson Maziwisa and Charles Sibanda.

The Warriors were scheduled to host Chipolopolo at Rufaro stadium on Sunday but the match was cancelled after Cameroonian referee Aurelien Juenkou and his assistants Fuanta Joseph Lambi, Elvis Noupue and Christopher Nde failed to make it in time for the match.

The quartet was stranded in transit at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Kenya after fire gutted the arrival terminal last week.

Zifa, the Football Association of Zambia (Faz) and match commissioner Ian McLeod of South Africa then resolved that the game be rescheduled for this weekend at the same venue.

Meanwhile, the Cameroonian match officials arrived in the country yesterday for Sunday’s match.

“I can confirm that the referees going to officiate on Sunday have arrived with the match commissioner set to arrive on Saturday,” said Gwesela.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.