DJ Munya's Star FM reign doubtful

HARARE - Star FM radio presenter Munyaradzi  Milimo, charged with murder and released on bail last Thursday, will know tomorrow if he can return to work, his lawyer has said.

DJ Munya, as he is affectionately known, was freed by High Court judge Joseph Musakwa on $300 bail after spending the past two weeks in remand prison.

Lucky Mauwa, his lawyer said the DJ will get to know his fate at Star FM on Monday.

“We are happy that he is now out of the custody, he is going to Star  FM on Monday to hear the management’s decision pertaining his job but chances are slim for him to retain it as his job involves the public,” said Mauwa.

Admire Taderera, Star FM general manager declined to comment on DJ Munya’s fate.

“I do not know, why can’t you talk to him,” said Taderera.

Efforts to reach DJ Munya for comment were fruitless by the time of going to print.

DJ Munya is accused of masterminding the kidnap and the subsequent killing of  O’Neal Tinashe Magorimbo.

He is jointly charged with Taurai Jani and Mohammed Matare, who are still held in custody.

DJ Munya was ordered to surrender his passport, report to the police every Friday and not to interfere with State witnesses as part of his bail conditions after Prosecutor Editor Mavuto indicated that the State was no longer opposing bail, after conceding that there was no link between the DJ and the commission of the offence.

Mauwa had submitted an affidavit by the popular radio personality, proffering exceptional circumstances warranting his suitability for release on bail.

He told the court that when Magorimbo died on May 19, he was not present.

He said he was in police custody following his arrest on May 17 over Magorimbo’s disappearance.

Milimo said that State papers did not reveal his role in the commission of the offence, to such an extent that he should not have been placed on remand.

He further said the court papers did not reveal the type of poison that was allegedly administered on Magorimbo, when and how it was administered, arguing that it might as well be a case of suicide.

Matare and Jani’s bail applications were postponed to next Monday.

Allegations against the trio arose after Magorimbo died due to suspected poisoning.

This was after he allegedly failed to pay DJ Munya $5 000 “compensation” for having an illicit affair with his wife.

The court heard that Magorimbo allegedly gave DJ Munya a part payment of $1 000 through Jani and Matare in February this year.

It is alleged Magorimbo later became evasive, prompting DJ Munya to enlist the services of Jani and Matare to force him to pay.

Magorimbo went missing last month, before he was eventually seen at his flat by his wife Millicent on May 18, naked with both hands tied with a shoe lace.

He later died at West End Hospital, where he had been admitted in the intensive care unit. - Vasco Chaya

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.