Warriors fail to travel

HARARE - The Zimbabwe national football team will have less than 24 hours to acclimatise to the conditions in Guinea after they failed to travel to the West African country as scheduled Thursday.

According to an itinerary sent out to the media by Zifa earlier this week, the Warriors were supposed to jet out of Harare Thursday afternoon, catch a connecting flight from South Africa and arrive in Conakry on Friday morning.

But that arrangement went up in smoke after Zifa failed to secure the air tickets for the 26-member Warriors delegation.

“All I can confirm is that we were expecting to fly out today but due to some complications and technicalities that arose we were told we will now be travelling tomorrow (Friday),” Warriors team manger Sharif Mussa told the Daily News Thursday night.

“So we are waiting to hear from the (Zifa) secretariat on our next move.”

After being told about the delay, the Warriors returned to training at Italian Sports Club Thursday with Mussa saying the team was in high spirits.

Zimbabwe are already out of contention for the World Cup and are using the remaining qualifiers to work on a squad for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

The Warriors lost 4-2 to Egypt at home on Sunday while their next opponents, the Syli National, walloped Mozambique 6-1 at home on Sunday and need nothing short of victory against the Warriors, whilst also hoping Mozambique defeat Group G leaders Egypt, to enhance their chances of progressing to the next level of qualifiers.  

The West African team occupy second place with seven points, five points adrift of the Pharaohs and six points ahead of the Warriors.

Squad: Washington Arubi, Maxwell Nyamupanedengu, Ovidy Karuru, Lincoln Zvasiya, Hardlife Zvirekwi, Patson Jaure, Ocean Mushure, Silas Songani, Masimba Mambare, Eric Chipeta, Devon Chafa, Tafadzwa Rusike, Rodrick Mutuma, Felix Chindungwe, Cuthbert Malajila, Archieford Gutu, Knowledge Musona, Denver Mukamba.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.