Jailbird gets 13 years

HARARE - A man just released after serving nine years in jail is back behind bars — and this time will stay there for 13 years.

Weston Singe, 31, walked out of jail two weeks ago after serving for robbery.

He was back in court yesterday where he was handed a 13-year-term for an armed robbery case committed earlier this month.

“Since the suspended term has not lapsed, the three years that had been removed on your previous sentence shall be added on your current sentence,” regional magistrate Hosea Mujaya said.

The court heard that on May 10 this year, Singe, his co-accused Emmanuel Saidi and an accomplice Ernest Mazake, who is still at large, planned to rob one Mark Conway.

The three armed themselves with a Taurus revolver that had two rounds of ammunition and a crow bar before proceeding to Conway’s Glen Norah home.

At the house, the three scaled over a precast wall to gain entry into the yard.

They then proceeded to the house and entered into Conway’s bedroom by breaking the burglar bars.

Prosecutor Michael Reza told the court the three men confronted Conway and pointed the revolver at his head while ordering him to remain silent or risk being shot.

They went further to tie his hands with the socks he was wearing and demanded keys to the safe.

Facts are that the three stole $1 600 which was in the safe, before ransacking the house and stealing various items worth $3 885 belonging to Conway and his younger brother.

A police report was made resulting in the arrest of Singe and Saidi, and the recovery of some of the stolen items. - Helen Kadirire

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.