Macheso bows to pressure

BULAWAYO - Sungura kingpin Alick Macheso has bowed to pressure and cancelled a May 24 Bulawayo show to placate local musicians who have lined up a festival on the same date.

Forty musical groups from Zimbabwe’s second-largest city are set to share the stage at an all-night gig dubbed Bulawayo Comes Alive Festival whose date had clashed with the Harare-based music icon’s show in the same city.

 Tafadzwa Maridadi of Maridadi Entertainment, the promoters of Macheso’s Bulawayo show confirmed the cancellation.

“Yes, we have indeed cancelled the show so that we can give Bulawayo artistes a chance to showcase their talents,” said Maridadi.

“We have actually postponed it maybe to the end of July therefore our fans in Bulawayo should not be worried at all.

“But as a matter of fact, I would like to state that Macheso is a man of principles. He is not jealous and he likes to see others grow in the music industry. This has been proved by the fact that he at one point worked with the late Beater Mangete who was from Bulawayo.”

Maridadi added that the clash of dates was an unfortunate coincidence which was not motivated by a desire to create a counter-attraction.

The Maridadi Entertainment spokesperson also shot down claims that Macheso was not keen to have Bulawayo artistes as supporting acts.

“For this show we had in fact planned to have Jeys (Marabini) and Derrick Majaivana to feature with Macheso but unfortunately we have since postponed the show”.

However, Maridadi said he had already communicated the cancellation of Macheso’s show to Marabini who is one of the organisers of the Bulawayo Comes Alive Festival.

Marabini on the other hand confirmed to the Daily News that Macheso had called off his show.

“There is a guy called Maridadi who called me in the morning concerning the clash of our shows.

“Of course he wanted me to postpone our show but I told him that it was not possible since we have spent almost two months preparing for the show,” he said.

Marabini said he was happy that Macheso and his team have agreed to postpone their show.

“I have already sealed a deal with ZBC in what is going to see our festival being screened live on television just like what happens with national galas,” the Afro-jazz music musician added.

Marabini also claimed that Macheso’s promoter had asked him to pay for the Sungura musician’s posters which had been put up across the city, but he had turned down the request.

Musicians expected to perform in the Bulawayo Comes Alive Festival include Black Umfolosi, Jeys Marabini, Chase Skuza, Kluxxman, Iyasa, Ndolwane Super Sounds, Sandra Ndebele, Willis Watafi, Cool Crooners, Ndux Junior, Umdumo Wesizwe, Tukuye Super Sounds, Isizukulwane, Otis Ngwabi, Impumelelo, Abigail Mwembe, Obadiah Mathulana, Siyaya, Djembe Monks, Gabz Fire, Mchez’nana, Hudson Simbarashe and several others.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.