Chungwa hattrick lifts CAPS

HARARE - CAPS United moved into second place on the Castle Premiership log standings with a win over Black Mambas yesterday courtesy of Domenic Chungwa’s hattrick.

United moved to 12 points after the win yesterday and now sit in second place behind log leaders FC Platinum, who are on 15 points after defeating Triangle 3-0 at Mandava Stadium yesterday.

Chungwa was the Makepekepe hero yesterday after netting the first hattrick of the 2013 season that destroyed the high flying police side.

United assistant coach Brenna Msiska said: “On Dominic we have been expecting him to score because he is just coming in from the first division and we said let’s wait for about four or five games.

“He played very well today and we knew it was just a matter of time for him to start scoring and we are very proud of his three goals today.”      

The 24-year-old, who was signed from Eastern Region Division One side Hippo Valley during the off season where he scored 34 goals in 2012, got the ball rolling as early as the second minute after a quick United counter attack.

United’s Leonard Fiyado won possession near the centre circle before leading a break on the right from where he squared the ball for Chungwa to tap home from close range.

Chungwa, who was also on target last weekend in the 2-1 win over How Mine, netted his second after a mistake by Mambas goalkeeper Tonderai Mateyaunga in the 23rd minute.

The Mambas goalie misjudged a harmless cross from United fullback Ronald Pfumbidzayi before parrying it for an grateful Chungwa, who headed home at the back post.

That goal knocked the stuffing out of the police side that had done well to get back into the game after conceding the early goal.

After the break, United increased their lead through some sloppy goalkeeping from Mateyaunga again.   

This time around, Chungwa turned provider for Fiyado after another calamitous error from Mateyaunga in the 49th minute when he tried to be clever by passing his goal kick to a badly positioned midfielder Convinience Hungwe.

Chungwa picked Hungwe’s pocket before squaring the ball to an unmarked Fiyado inside the box.

There was a hint of offside when Fiyado finished off the move but the Mambas’ players protests were turned away.

Mambas coach John Ncube reacted by pulling out Mateyaunga and replaced him with Ronald Mudimu.

The visitors thought they were back in the game when they were awarded a penalty kick in the 59th minute after United captain Tapiwa Kumbuyani impeded Kasimero Chimbadzwa inside the box.

Honey Chimutimunzeve coolly slotted the ball past Makepekepe goalkeeper Tafadzwa Dube to make it 3-1 but Chungwa was not finished yet.

The United forward completed his hattrick when he reacted first to get to the ball after Mudimu had spilled a shot from Fiyado in the 69th minute.

Although United ran out 4-1 winners yesterday, they were many moments when mambas had them on the back foot.

On three occasions the police side were denied by the cross bar with United goalie Dube well beaten but luck was not on their side.

Mambas assistant coach Martin Bonyongwe said: “At the end of the day the result was cruel because it did not reflect the way the game was played. CAPS United utilised their chances and three of the goal we conceded were all mistakes.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.