Bosso's bubble burst

BULAWAYO - Highlanders suffered their first defeat of the 2013 Castle Premiership season after going down to a visiting 10-man Motor Action yesterday.

A first half goal from Merciful Ncube was all the Mighty Bulls needed to earn their first win of the season in four games.

Motor Action had started the season on a poor note only picking up one point in the first match of the season in a 0-0 draw with Hwange.

They followed that draw with two consecutive defeats to CAPS United (2-1) and Harare City (4-0) before yesterday’s sensational win over Bosso.

On the other hand Bosso came into yesterday’s game high on confidence after three wins on the trot that had catapulted them to second place on the log behind FC Platinum.

Highlanders were their own worst enemies here as they missed numerous chances that should have seen them winning the match by a wide margin.

Bosso had done well right from the first whistle as they piled pressure on the visitors constantly besieging their goal area but failed to convert their chances into goals.

Motor Action, who had not shown any intention of opening the scoring, found the all important goal against the run of play in the 19th minute.

A delightful through ball by Scholar Hadebe from just outside the box found the unmarked Ncube, whose left footed shot beat the diving Munyaradzi Diya in goals for Bosso.

Soon after getting the goal, the visitors gained some confidence and began to attack with more conviction.

However, the Bulls ascendency was halted when midfielder Louis Matawu was sent off by referee Mlindeli Ndebele for a second bookable offence on the stroke of halftime.

Matawu had received his first caution five minutes earlier for fouling an opponent.

For the second yellow, the former FC Platinum entered the pitch after receiving treatment without notifying the referee.

In a moment of rage, Matawu charged towards Bosso midfielder Masimba Mambare before kicking him in the calf.

The commotion caused a brief stoppage as there were some shenanigans on the touchline as both sets of benches became involved in the fracas.

After the halftime break, Highlanders once again failed to capitalize on their numerical advantage as they missed chance after chance.

Bosso coach Kelvin Kaindu was disappointed after the game saying: “It’s very unfortunate that we conceded our first defeat at home. We created so many chances but still we failed to utilise them and the only meaningful chance our opponent got they scored.  So as from now we now concentrate on the next games.”

Mighty Bulls coach David George said: “I don’t want to talk about the referee, because the referee’s decision is final. However, I’m happy that after losing to Harare City, today we got it right as my boys did well by fighting so hard until the end.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.