NetOne to launch 16-team tourney

HARARE - NetOne managing director Reward Kangai has revealed the cellular network company’s ambitious plans to host another charity tournament to involve all 16 Premier Soccer League teams.

Kangai expressed satisfaction over the just-ended four-team Charity Shield won by Chicken Inn at Mandava Stadium on Sunday. The Gamecocks held on to a 3-2 win against CAPS United, having taken a 3-0 lead before conceding two late goals in the last nine minutes of the game.

The Bulawayo side pocketed $60 000.

The 2013 edition of the NetOne Charity Shield saw fans from across the country being given the rare opportunity to select the teams to play in the tournament via an SMS voting process.

2008 Zimbabwe champions Monomotapa topped the list, Chicken Inn came second while CAPS United and FC Platinum were in third and fourth place respectively.

Harare giants Dynamos, who are embroiled in payment dispute with NetOne after winning the Charity Shield last year, failed to grace this year’s tournament together with bitter rivals Highlanders.

 “The various soccer fans are the ones who voted for the teams that participated and I hope we are not here to cause confrontation, we are here to promote soccer so that it can also help the less privileged in the society,” Kangai told the Daily News in Zvishavane.

 “We are actually in the process to find a date for another tournament for the coming season because we are trying to embrace all the clubs that are playing in the Premiership.”

 The NetOne boss was impressed with the reception in the small mining town of Zvishavane. This was the first time the tournament was staged outside Harare.

 “There was quite a huge turnout here in Zvishavane notwithstanding the fact that the local team, FC Platinum, did not make it into the final,” he said.

 “But that was not enough to deter the soccer loving fans who came to witness the final between CAPS United and Chicken Inn and we are happy things went well and we thank the supporters.”

 

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.