Violence mar Dynamos victory

HARARE - Rioting Highlanders fans brought ugly scenes to Barbourfields Stadium when they clashed with police who fired tear gas to disperse them at the end of a thrilling match in which their team lost in the first leg of the Bob 89 Super Cup here yesterday.

After an exciting match that produced three goals in five minutes in the first half there was drama at the end as Highlanders faithful started attacking DeMbare fans at the final whistle.

The Daily News witnessed a number of DeMbare fans writhing in agony after they had been struck by missiles thrown by suspected Bosso fans.

Outside the venue, several vehicles in the parking bays were stoned as the melee also spread to the surrounding suburbs of Mzilikazi and Barbourfields.

Baton-wielding police officers had to fire teargas to displace and quell the marauding crowd.

A number of fans were trapped inside the stadium as they could not leave in fear of getting caught up in the skirmishes.

There were further running battles between the police and the fans at Machipsini along Luveve Road near Nguboyenja suburb where several commuter omnibus ferrying people from the city centre were stoned.

By the time of going to press last night, police were still patrolling the areas surrounding the stadium and other affected areas.

Bulawayo police spokesperson, Mandlenkosi Moyo however played down the scuffles saying: “Violence was brewing but we moved in to calm the situation. No arrests were made but we just picked up a few individuals for questioning.”

Back to the thrilling match, DeMbare were the first to get onto the score sheet when the impressive Tawanda Muparati sweat past a number of Bosso defenders on the edge of the box before beating goalkeeper Ariel Sibanda with a powerful shot.

Before the goal, the DeMbare backline led by goalkeeper George Chigova had done well to keep Highlanders at bay.

Three minutes after the opening goal, Dynamos soon doubled their lead after Patrick Khumbula caught the home side on the counter.

Khumbula, who is returning from a loan spell last season, made a solo run down the left wing before releasing a scorcher that gave Sibanda no chance.

Two minutes later, Bosso reduced the arrears through a header from striker Bevan Chikaka.

Poor communication between the Dynamos defenders allowed Chikaka space to redirect his free header past Chigova from inside the box.

In the second half, both teams returned a determined lot but the score line remained unchanged.

After the match, Bosso coach Kelvin Kaindu blamed the referee for the loss but remained optimistic that his charges are going to overturn DeMbare’s lead in the second leg.

“The referee was not fit to handle this match. Games like these one they need to be handled by better referees than what I saw today,”Kaindu said.

“Of course we dominated for the better part of the game but as you know football is not about dominating but scoring goals. I’m confident of my players and I am still hopeful that when we go to Harare we are going to lift the cup.”

His counterpart Calisto Pasuwa said: “We played well but I think we have more work to do on our defending, that’s why we even conceded a goal which was harmless.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.