Denver's deal safe

HARARE - Denver Mukamba’s prospective move to South African Absa Premiership side BidVest Wits is still on despite the club parting ways with coach Antonio Lopez Habas yesterday.

Mukamba is expected to fly to Wits’ base in Braamfontein for a medical tomorrow, accompanied by his manager Gibson Mahachi.

Mahachi said Habas’ departure will not have negative effect on the Dynamos’ starlet’s proposed move to the Clever Boys.

The DeMbare midfield wizard has previously been affected by a change of coaching personnel at Wits.

Last year, the Zimbabwe international impressed during trials at Braamfontein but then coach Roger De Sa was sacked before he had offered him a contract.

When Habas arrived at the club, he decided against continuing Wits’ pursuit of the 21-year-old.

“We knew it (Habas’ exit) was coming and it was just a matter of time when it will happen,” Mahachi said of the latest deal talks.

“I wouldn’t want to think that this latest development at the club will have affect Denver’s move in any way. From the discussions we have had with Wits, I don’t think there will be any complications. We will be leaving this Sunday to go and finalise everything.”

Mukamba was the driving force behind DeMbare’s league and cup triumph in the 2012 season.

He was subsequently voted Zimbabwe’s footballer of the year and Wits immediately renewed their interest.

The Highfield-bred midfielder was back at Braamfontein at the beginning of December and Habas looked set to add him to his squad before the Super Diski, which resumes in February.

It seems like it is all déjà vu for Mukamba after the club announced Habas’ departure but Mahachi is confident that the midfielder will complete his move this time around.

Mukamba will join his compatriots Tinashe Nengomasha and Thomas Sweswe, who are already on The Students’ pay roll.

Wits replaced the Spaniard until the end of the season by the veteran former Bafana Bafana coach Clive Barker.

“Antonio Lopez has requested that, due to personal and private reasons, he be released from his contract, due to expire at the end of the season,” the club said in a statement.

“We have acceded to his request and we are in the process of finalising the necessary paperwork in this regard.

“Antonio Lopez has been an exemplary professional and we wish him the very best in his future endeavours.”

It is the second time that Habas has vacated a Super Diski club for “personal reasons” after he left Mamelodi Sundowns under the same circumstances in 2011.

Barker, who won the African Nations Cup with Bafana Bafana in 1996, will take charge for the second half of the season.

He will begin his duties on Monday and will be assisted by former national team goalkeeper Andre Arendse.

Wits have suffered mixed fortune in the 2012-13 season after a difficult start. The club currently sits in ninth place on the log with 19 points from 16 games.

They resume their campaign with a trip to Polokwane to face Black Leopards on February 13.

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.