Victory for Dynamos

HARARE - Dynamos yesterday won their arbitration fight to uphold their controversial win over Hwange, a ruling which leaves the Glamour Boys on the brink of a record-extending 19th Zimbabwean football title.

The Commercial Arbitration Centre (CAS) yesterday ordered that the result stand, ruling that Dynamos won the match fairly despite the assault of Hwange coach Nation Dube by three Dynamos marshals before the match at Rufaro Stadium on May 6.

The CAC, chaired by prominent lawyer and Harare mayor Muchadeyi Masunda, further ruled that the off-field incident did not have a bearing on the final result of the match.

Following the verdict, Dynamos secretary-general Ray Kazembe said the Harare giants were largely expecting the outcome.

“As a club we are just happy that justice has been done,” Kazembe told the Daily News yesterday. “We knew from word go that they had no case. As a club we do not condone violence; there could have been an assault incident. But our argument was the degree of the assault was not such that the coach could not continue with the game. It did not affect the outcome of the game.”

DeMbare beat Hwange 4-2 in a match marred by the assault of Dube by the marshals just before kick-off.
Dynamos were initially docked the three points by a Premier Soccer League (PSL) disciplinary committee after finding the club guilty of misconduct.

The Zifa Appeals Committee then threw out the order by the Premier Soccer League (PSL) disciplinary committee to nullify the result of the match.

The PSL disciplinary committee had also ordered a replay at a neutral venue and slapped Dynamos with a $2 000 fine.

However, following the Zifa disciplinary committee’s ruling in favour of the defending champions, Hwange lodged an appeal with the Commercial Arbitration Centre (CAC), whose verdict was delivered yesterday.

In the ruling, the CAC noted that the impressive performance of Hwange in the 4-2 defeat was ample proof that the pre-match incident did not affect the players.

“The police report, referees’ report and other papers that were filed prove, beyond doubt, that the three DFC (Dynamos Football Club) marshals did assault the head coach and the assistant coach of HFC (Hwange Football Club) . The coach was grabbed by the neck and his head was banged against the wall a few times, resulting in a swollen head,” read the ruling.

“The assistant coach was also grabbed and pushed against the wall. They were taken to Harare Central Hospital for medical examination and were given medication. Consequently, they did not participate in the match.

“However, there is no evidence in any of the papers filed as to how members of the HFC team felt during the match. No member of the team or match officials gave evidence as to the state of mind of the players. There was no evidence at all that the players were traumatised in the least, let alone so traumatised that they did not concentrate on the match.

“The uncontroverted evidence before the ZAC was that the HFC team played very well and was attacking the DFC goal relentlessly, particularly during the dying stages of the match. That is hardly consistent with the allegations that the players were so traumatised that they were unable to concentrate on the game.

The fact that they scored two goals shows that they were well motivated and concentrating on their game.

“The order of the Arbitration Panel is that the appeal is dismissed.”

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.