Director's trial postponed indefinitely

HARARE - High Court Judge Justice Martin Makonese has postponed indefinitely the trial of Chitungwiza Municipality director of Education, Housing and Community Services, Jemina Gumbo who is facing 22 counts of criminal abuse of office.

The trial was last Friday postponed indefinitely because prosecutor Public Mpofu who is handling the case will not be available.

Gumbo, 33, is accused of allocating commercial and residential stands to several beneficiaries without following council laid down procedures.

The state has so far led evidence from Wadzanai Dube, Chitungwiza Town Council’s administrative
assistant, while Conrad Muchesa, the council’s urban director planning services was still testifying when the trial was adjourned.

Muchesa who started working for Chitungwiza municipality in February last year told the court that his department was responsible for the issuance of memorandums confirming that certain stands were ready for occupation.

Asked whether there were any changes made to a 1987 Chitungwiza town layout plan, Muchesa said, “If it was done legally it would have been known. But as far as I know, no changes have been made,” said Muchesa.

The State claims the stands allocations purportedly made by Gumbo were “unprocedural” and were done “unilaterally”.

However, Gumbo denied committing the offence and claims the allegations were “malicious, frivolous and vexatious”.

She told the court the allegations are being peddled by her detractors. - Tendai Kamhungira

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.