Bosso stay in hunt

GWERU - Highlanders kept pressure on log leaders Dynamos with a comfortable 2-0 win over relegated relegation-threatened Hardbody at Ascot Stadium yesterday.

Two first half goals from Mthulisi Maphosa in the 22and minute and Cleopas Dube five minutes from before the break ensured that the title goes down to the wire after Dynamos came from behind to beat Monomotapa  2-1 in Harare.

“We played well in the first half, scoring two goals, but we ran out of steam in the second half. It’s good that we had taken the lead and this helped us when they were coming at us,” said Highlanders coach Kelvin Kaindu.

Despite the two first half goals, Bosso ran out of steam in the second half and had Harbody been polished upfront, the Gweru side would have salvaged a point.

The home side went into the match needing nothing short of victory to guarantee their place in the premiership next season and were the first out of the blocks with Jacob Muzokomba and Stephen Alimenda drawing the best out of Highlanders goalkeeper Ariel Sibanda in the early stages of the match.

There was no denying Maphosa the opener eight minutes later when he volleyed from inside the after Hardbody keeper Ashley Rayners punched into play a corner kick from Lawson Nkomo.

The goal lifted Bosso and they began to make forays into Hardbody defence with wingers Masimba Mambare and Knox Mutizwa lively on the flanks, creating avenues for Bhekimpilo Ncube and Cleopas Dube.

Dube, who had done everything but failed to score in the previous matches after joining Bosso from ZPC Hwange mid-season, added his name on the score sheet five minutes before half time when he rose high above the Hardbody defence to plant a powerful header past Rayners.

Mutizwa and Ncube took turns to roast Joana Mangiza and Brian Juru on the right before Mutizwa whipped in cross that found the towering Dube unmarked inside the box and the striker did justice by beating Rayners.

After the breather, Hardbody came guns blazing, completely overrunning their opponents but the final touch continued to elude them just like in the first half.  Roy Useni failed to capitalize from a spill by Ariel Sibanda in the 55th minute when he shot wide with Sibanda sprawling on the ground.

Jacob Muzokomba, who had a good game, was to fluff another chance for the home side when he broke loose on the right but instead of lobbying the ball past the goalkeeper, he chose a hard and low shot which was blocked by Sibanda.

At the other end, Maphosa had a chance to add his second when Bosso broke on a counter attack three minutes before the end but his shot just missed the upright by inches.

“We created a number of chances that could have brought us back into the match but we failed to capitalize. Highlanders had those two chances and used them and that made the difference,” said Hardbody coach Godfrey Tamirepi. - Own Correspondent

Post a comment

Readers are kindly requested to refrain from using abusive, vulgar, racist, tribalistic, sexist, discriminatory and hurtful language when posting their comments on the Daily News website.
Those who transgress this civilised etiquette will be barred from contributing to our online discussions.
- Editor

Your email address will not be shared.